We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Identifying grow operation RFI  (Read 976 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Identifying grow operation RFI
« on: May 16, 2019, 2157 UTC »
This is a recording of yet another round of RFI from some local neighborhood Marijuana grow operation. This one, like the others before it as heard here, seem to be on a 12 hour timer. The recording was started about 50 seconds prior to the start up at 2129 UTC. I was tuned to 6925 USB and after about 5 minutes, the RFI has increased to S9. Below is the audio waveform from my Audacity recording, followed by a link to my Google Drive of the recording.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x9yaOf2I4WHLsPSBID5uuO39XiCFXWlw/view?usp=sharing

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying grow operation RFI
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 2217 UTC »
A couple things.

One is I'm glad I'm not the only one with constant static crashes on hf these days.

Another is omg wtf that's miserable (for people who love hf).

Another still is I'm torn between not wanting government to be able to tell someone what they can and can't do to their own body
and not wanting more imbeciles out driving, flying, operating machinery, etc. There's enough people legally stoned on prescription meds out there right now as it is. Imagine hf when this shit gets legalised.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 0039 UTC »
See if you can pinpoint the exact frequencies of the racket. Indoor grows usually use one set of lights of a certain color/frequency spectrum for the 12/12 flowering period and another for the vegetation period which is at a higher freq. and will be on for a much longer time period.

As you're in a weed legal state, it could be a legally approved grow? Check with the local cops or whoever keeps track of legal grows to see if there are any in your immediate area.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 1433 UTC »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 1434 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns