We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Skin cancer and the low fat craze  (Read 1859 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Skin cancer and the low fat craze
« on: May 24, 2019, 1126 UTC »
Why has the incidence of skin cancers been growing over the past few decades? Our ancestors worked outside in the Sun all day long, many more hours per day than we do, and there was no epidemic of skin cancer. They didn't have sunscreen.  What has changed?

One change - more consumption of polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils, as butter, lard and other animal fats were demonized. Of course when you eat a ketogenic / low carb diet, avoiding vegetable oils and eating healthy animal fats, your intake of polyunsaturated fats goes back down.

Here is a graph showing the consumption of polyunsaturated fats and incidence of melanoma over time. Interesting.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Skin cancer and the low fat craze
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 2057 UTC »
In 1909 we didn't have antibiotics and but a few vaccines. Those two factors alone shortened the overall lifespan. For example when Social Security was enacted the Govt. chose 65 as the retirement age, due to the fact if you made it that far, you didn't have much longer to go, 3-5 years generally. With the advent of antibiotics, the refinement of vaccines, and chemical fertilizers during and after WWII, populations and life expectancies soared.

The longer you live the more likely you are be hit with a cancer of some type, about 1 in 3 Americans will die from it. Is the high skin cancer rate from dietary fats or the higher percentage of ancient coots heading to sunny locations for two decades of retirement after spending their working years indoors?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 2217 UTC »
There's a 5 fold increase in skin cancer rates from circa 1970 to 2007. Not sure life expectancy has increased that much  ;D

There seems to be a several decade lag between the increase in veg oil consumption and the increase in skin cancers, which seems reasonable.

I'm certainly not saying this is the only cause, there's likely a multitude, an increase in life expectancy (although on the upper end it's not really that many years, really what we've done through better medicine is stop babies and young children from dying) is certainly a factor, as well as improved detection of skin cancers.

What I forgot to mention in my first post, and was the reason I saw this, was that there's a fair bit of anecdotal evidence in the keto community of people getting less sunburn than before. If true, it's not completely implausible there could be effects on skin cancer rates.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't throw in at leasts one supporting study done on mice  ;D   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3128560
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 1856 UTC »
Pretty sure there's much more death today from cancer or heart disease than in 1909. Also much more autism. My guess is because we routinely inject live and dead virii as well as known and unknown pathogens directly into immature immune systems, as well as the fact most all our food comes from a factory. If we have any increase in longevity over 1909, it's more likely due to clean water and the ability to keep our hands clean.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 1914 UTC »
The anti-vaccination movement was most strongly rejuvenated in recent years by the publication of a paper in The Lancet by a former British doctor and researcher, Andrew Wakefield, which suggested credence to the debunked-claim of a connection between the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine and development of autism in young children. Several studies published later disproved a causal association between the MMR vaccine and autism. Wakefield drew severe criticism for his flawed and unethical research methods, which he used to draw his data and conclusions. A journalistic investigation also revealed that there was a conflict of interest with regard to Wakefield’s publication because he had received funding from litigants against vaccine manufacturers, which he obviously did not disclose to either his co-workers nor medical authorities. For all of the aforementioned reasons, The Lancet retracted the study, and its editor declared it “utterly false”. As a result, three months later, he was also struck off the UK Medical Registry, barring him from practicing medicine in the UK. The verdict declared that he had "abused his position of trust" and "brought the medical profession into disrepute" in the studies he carried out.

https://autismsciencefoundation.org/what-is-autism/autism-and-vaccines/

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/vaccines-and-other-conditions/vaccines-autism

https://autismcenter.org/vaccines-and-autism

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2727726/measles-mumps-rubella-vaccination-autism-nationwide-cohort-study

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/do-vaccines-cause-autism

https://www.publichealth.org/public-awareness/understanding-vaccines/vaccine-myths-debunked/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 1922 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 1950 UTC »
Vaccinations are probably tied with antibiotics as the leading tools in modern medicine, having saved more lives than perhaps anything else.

But back to skin cancer... I was curious about the effectiveness of sunscreen in preventing skin cancer, and ran across this paper from just last year: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29620003

From the abstract:

While the current evidence suggests no increased risk of skin cancer related to sunscreen use, this systematic review does not confirm the expected protective benefits of sunscreen against skin cancer in the general population.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 2006 UTC »
Europeans and Americans also wore long sleeved clothes and hats all the time until the 70s. The hypothesis that diet is a factor needs a lot more evidence to be supported.

Autism is up only because we recognize what it is now, rather than treating those who have it as the village idiot.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 1909 UTC »
Vaccinations are probably tied with antibiotics as the leading tools in modern medicine, having saved more lives than perhaps anything else.

But back to skin cancer... I was curious about the effectiveness of sunscreen in preventing skin cancer, and ran across this paper from just last year: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29620003

From the abstract:

While the current evidence suggests no increased risk of skin cancer related to sunscreen use, this systematic review does not confirm the expected protective benefits of sunscreen against skin cancer in the general population.

This insolence will shortly be debunked by the sunscreen industry.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 0105 UTC »
I still miss those Hawaiian Tropic girls and their enhanced assets. That was one of the great promotions to tour bars in the late 80's, trailed only by the noble and ancient sport of dwarf tossing.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns