We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio to Mac interface cable help  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Chicago Jeff

• View Profile
Radio to Mac interface cable help
« on: May 28, 2019, 2012 UTC »
Hello all... I'm an ex SWL and radio operator and just ordered a Tecsun S2000 radio to get back into listening. My interests are Pirate Radio and decoding digital amateur radio modes like SSTV, FSK and RTTY.
I'm looking for a way to get the radio interfaced into my Imac. The Tecsun radio will have line out jacks as well as a 455kHz AM If out jack.
Anybody running anything like this and have some pointers? I've been out of the hobby for a long time lol.

Thank you in advance

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Radio to Mac interface cable help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 2207 UTC »
You can feed the line out from the radio to the line in of your Mac... then run any of my fine Mac radio related programs  ;D

http://www.blackcatsystems.com

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Chicago Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 2209 UTC »
Thanks Chris. I ordered a suitable cable and cheapo usb audio in plug for the Imac. I'll know if that all works in a few days

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 2214 UTC »
I have had mixed results with the very inexpensive USB audio devices, they occasionally have missing samples, which can ruin decoding of SSTV, etc. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

I have had great results with the Griffin iMic, which has been made for years, and is very solid. Hopefully what you ordered will work for you, but if not, consider getting one of them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree