We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Identification needed  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
  • UVB-76 bought me in the SWL'ing habit.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Identification needed
« on: June 03, 2019, 0846 UTC »
Hello, I got a radio yesterday from a local source. The owner didn’t know what to do with it so he gave it to me. I also can’t easy find he description on the web. So I made a link o Imgur with the pictures of the device with all details from the outside and the kind of batteries that came with it in the bag. I guess the yellow ones are the originals. As they don’t have a modern brand name and only a number painter on them. They also seem to have mah, which makes me think those were rechargeable. I appreciate the comments and I hope to find the right kind of manual to make this thing work instead of just messing it up while trying to get it working without knowledge. The link is below:

https://imgur.com/a/P4Fau5Q

Kind regards, Telegrapher

Matt285

Re: Identification needed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 1108 UTC »
  UFT 422

is a solid state 4- channel DDR radio for public services, manufactured by RFT. It was mainly used by firefighters, VOPO and other services.

A cable antenna built in the shoulder strap was used when the distances to cover were short; or when the provided steel band antenna was hindering.

A headset with throat microfone also is part of the radio set; to be used when surrounding noises are very loud. Usually the funnel- looking microfone / Loudspeaker combination is used.

Frequency range:
    150 .. 174 MHz

Technical data:

Channels:
Channel spacing:
    25 kHz
Mode:
    F3
Sensitivity:
    0.8 µV
Tone call:
    1750 Hz
Transistors:
Range:
    2 .. 5 km
Operation time:
    8 hrs @ 10% transmitting
Powered by:
    2 nicad batteries, each 7.2 V
Measurements and weight:
    117 x 196 x 45 mm, 2 kg

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 1109 UTC »

Manufacturer / Brand:     Funkwerk Dresden, VEB, RFT (Ostd. vorm. H. Mende & Co.)
Year: 1972–1980    Category: Transmitter & Receiver (TRX not Amateur)
Semiconductors (the count is only for transistors)    27:
Main principle    Superhet, double/triple conversion; ZF/IF 10700/470 kHz
Wave bands    Wave Bands given in the notes.
Details    
Power type and voltage    Storage Battery for all (e.g. for car radios and amateur radios) / 2 × 7,2 Volt
Loudspeaker    Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil)
Power out    
from Radiomuseum.org    Model: UFT422 - Funkwerk Dresden, VEB, RFT
Material    Metal case
Shape    Miscellaneous shapes - described under notes.
Dimensions (WHD)    117 x 196 x 45 mm / 4.6 x 7.7 x 1.8 inch
Notes    BOS-Funkgerät zum Umhängen mit separatem Lautsprechermikrofon mit Sende-und Ruftaste. Ausführung für das 2-m- oder 4-m-Band mit jeweils 4 Kanälen. Modulationsart FM mit 0,4 Watt Sendeleistung. Regler für Lautstärke und Rauschsperre.
Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)    2 kg / 4 lb 6.5 oz (4.405 lb)

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 1321 UTC »
@IZS4 - Thanks for the quick reply! It covers exactly what I needed to get. I wonder if it’s safe to get some voltage into it and turning it on or disassemble it to see if anything is wrong on the inside.. on the outside everything looks good. Only dust is the faulty part. On the inside of the battery case, it looks also kinda dirty. Not that much but a few black spots on the sides are visible. Maybe also dust to clear out. No signs of leakage on the spring plug which sounds good to me.

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 1426 UTC »
Here’s the circuitry on the inside. It looks messed up to me. As a beginner, I have no idea on how to clean this all out and if the mess is a sign of a leaking capacitor or something. This stuff is really like a maze to me. I don’t know where to start nor end.

https://imgur.com/a/RCYIQI7

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 2009 UTC »
And here I was gonna say stasi.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.