We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: THE GUARDIAN on the demise of rural radio in USA  (Read 2731 times)

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 2239 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: THE GUARDIAN on the demise of rural radio in USA
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 1936 UTC »
There are 3 main things going against independent radio stations.
First is the cost of energy as well as other operating costs.
Second is the lack of listeners due to low fidelity and boring programming.
Third is the lack of advertisers due to lack of listeners, the ones who pay for everything.

That being said, one local station that seems to be popular has a lot of local talent doing their own shows and conversely less syndicated stuff. They feature shows on what's going on locally and spotlight local businesses much more so than the others. I suspect this is what the future holds, very localised bcasting and the rest will be completely syndicated.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 2043 UTC »
I agree with several things in that article. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, was that dude that commented from Syracuse UNI, whom started at a Hornell, NY station, from the now gone WHHO? Yeah, that Telecomm Act of 1996 pretty much ruined radio for those of whom give a damn about it. Yes, you have the limited LPFM, with no ad revenues allowed, period. And, Part #15 AM radio is expanding via radio hobbyists, doing radio their own way. But, commercial, local, radio in most small towns are in trouble, especially AM stations. Many of them don't have a live person at all running them, or even anymore than a closest, or shelf, space for the entire station. Sad article, but we're just going to hear more of this.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 0106 UTC »
The downward slide started when stations stopped playing hippie music.    8)

https://youtu.be/AHxiR2CmWrI

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 0229 UTC by JimIO »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 0615 UTC »
It's not lack of listeners. It's lack of listeners under age 50, at least for AM, and increasingly that way for FM as younger demos listen 100% online (a la Radio Disney, which abandoned OTA radio altogether).

In the rural areas it's probably tough. Less mom and pop stores, some towns more or less gutted with a couple box stores outside the core, that use national advertisers, or print, if they advertise at all. For example, I've never heard a Walmart advert on the radio. Ever. Or any other big box store, like Costco or one of the chains.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 1741 UTC »
All the ads I hear around here are for plumbing, car repair, etc local stuff. I do hear Lowes ads on occasion.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 0729 UTC »
Everything runs in cycles.  Those stations that are super-serving their LOCAL audiences are doing well.  The company I used to work for had one such station in a small midwest market.  They did ag reports, swap shop, local sports, and country music.  There was no other game in town, just rimshots from other markets.

Treat your audience with respect and they will be loyal to you.

P.S.  you can sell advertising in an lpfm, but there is specific language you cannot use.  Look at npr... this hour of programming is sponsored by....more information available at.....

+-RH
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 0732 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 1026 UTC »
I miss the old obit reporting, on-air flea market, loose cows and howling preacher stations of my youth. The preachers paid the bills and the rest of the air time you could use to see what formats would work. Renting out bay space on the stick for other users/services is a way to make a little steady cash, too.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 1455 UTC »
I miss the old obit reporting, on-air flea market, loose cows and howling preacher stations of my youth. The preachers paid the bills and the rest of the air time you could use to see what formats would work. Renting out bay space on the stick for other users/services is a way to make a little steady cash, too.

Local WHVR 1280 in Hanover PA still does Yard Sale 11 AM - noon weekday mornings. Tune in on my KiwiSDR if you want to relive your youth, Pigmeat.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 1721 UTC »
Country bunpkin WLSV 790AM,   https://radio-locator.com/info/WLSV-AM?loc=42.11076%2C-77.94191&locn=14895%20%28Wellsville%2C%20NY%29      Has HOTLINE weekday mornings at 9AM. A continuous listing of guns, cars, trucks, and tractors, parts. Oh, not to mention pets and farm animals, or "I will haul away your trash!".
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 2038 UTC »
If shtf I can see local am stations becoming much more valuable.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 1122 UTC »
If shtf I can see local am stations becoming much more valuable.

AM in general, but yes.  A good example would be the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - local New Orleans AM stations (the ones that remained on the air anyway) were the only source of information for many people as everything else had been knocked out. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 1953 UTC »

AM in general, but yes.  A good example would be the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - local New Orleans AM stations (the ones that remained on the air anyway) were the only source of information for many people as everything else had been knocked out.

IIRC, WWL AM 870 remained on the air.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 1958 UTC »
WMIC AM 660 Sandusky MI caters to a rural audience in the mostly agricultural Michigan Thumb region.
The local format includes Classic Country (Hank, Johnny, Patsy) played on vinyl spun on turntables.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 0759 UTC »

IIRC, WWL AM 870 remained on the air.

Yes, they did. 24/7 for weeks until the other stations could start to get back on the air. That was up there with Murrow and Cronkite relaying the Blitz live from London via SW in 1940.