We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Hundreds Of U.S. Flights Canceled As GPS-Based Aircraft Navigation System Fails  (Read 2704 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
.--    -   ..-.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Maybe somebody is regretting switching off all those NDBs.  The NDB (ADF) system and VOR systems should be kept in operation for this exact reason.

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Sounds like someone is trying to send a message.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Get out the quadrant and the charts.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
NDBs are great and simple. It also wouldn't hurt if some of the AM broadcast stations would start being plotted on the aviation charts again.

LORAN needs to rise from the dead. Either LORAN-C or eLORAN. Fire it up, its beyond time.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Get out the quadrant and the charts.

LOL!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Sextants, charts, NDB's, LORAN -- all of the above.

There is too much dependence on just one nav technique, or process. Especially in a day when an anti-sat, EMP or cyber attack could bring it down.

Good luck bringing down every NDB, Vortac, and LORAN site in the country. Doable, sure, but it that actually happened there would be nowhere to land anyway.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
The NDBs wouldn't cost that much to keep in operation, I don't think.  Compared to VOR and VORTAC (and don't forget DME!) NDBs are a quick and dirty navigational tool but I would prefer to have full ILS for IFR conditions.  That's assuming a full GPS blackout or enough issues where it cannot be used for aeronautical navigation.

Never mind the fact that if the GPS system was knocked out a lot of other things we use on a daily basis would stop working...like cellular / mobile telephone networks. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Never mind the fact that if the GPS system was knocked out a lot of other things we use on a daily basis would stop working...like cellular / mobile telephone networks.

And how is that a bad thing?

Josh, the quadrant worked in Columbus time, it will work now, as long as the sky is clear. Dead reckoning is fine when it's not.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
I thought the cell/mobile sites were connected by fiber/internet and GPS is whole different system. Anyway, about 25 years ago I said "Next time I fly I'm going to be the pilot".    8)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile

And how is that a bad thing?

Josh, the quadrant worked in Columbus time, it will work now, as long as the sky is clear. Dead reckoning is fine when it's not.

Good news, USN has started teaching fresh squid how to use the sextant again.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Might be a good time to consider going back to the Beacon and Arrow system.  This should be easy to fold into Infrastructure Week the next time it comes around.

http://www.dreamsmithphotos.com/arrow/States/az/images/34a_24%20LA-A%20phoenix%20sign.jpg
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 0326 UTC by JimIO »

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
I thought the cell/mobile sites were connected by fiber/internet and GPS is whole different system. Anyway, about 25 years ago I said "Next time I fly I'm going to be the pilot".    8)

Cellular sites are connected via fiber, but in order for the site to work effectively with the sites around it, it needs to know exact time.  GPS provides a cheap accurate time reference source.  Without the time reference source for the base station to compare its own clocks to, the site will eventually lose sync (at least that's my understanding).  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

Sextants, a chart and a E6B flight computer.  The US Navy is teaching how to use the E6B flight computer as well, I believe.  In the few hours of flight training that I have had, I did learn how to navigate using the E6B as well as the magnetic compass/gyro compass, how to read (paper) charts, plot a course using VOR and NDB navaids (this was in a Cessna 172L without any GPS equipment whatsoever - only VOR, NDB, DME, a transponder that seemed perpetually set to 1200 and of course the usual VHF comm radio setup).

Hell, I even plotted a (rough) course with the ADF using a local AM broadcast band station as the beacon.