We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Three digit identifier on CB  (Read 3185 times)

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Three digit identifier on CB
« on: June 14, 2019, 1722 UTC »
Now that the CB band is open most of the time I listen now and then.
I hear many operators using three digit identifiers. I did a quick search here and on the web but did not find anything explaining it. So I'm asking here...

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Three digit identifier on CB
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 1728 UTC »
A self-assigned "callsign" that the operators give themselves.  I.e. a "handle".  Some 11m band DX clubs or CB radio groups/clubs assign sequential identifiers as well, for example "World Radio 123" is the 123rd member of the World Radio CB/11m club.  A lot of the numbers you'll hear are simply self-assigned numbers that the operator chooses to use as their callsign or identifier for whatever reason.

If/when the band is open internationally again, you'll start to hear number-number-letter-letter-number-number-number type callsigns on 11m (for example, 26AD456, or 2WR123).  The numbers before the letters are the 11 meter country prefix (the USA is "2", Italy is "1", England is 26, Canada is 9, Mexico is 10, etc.  The two letters are an identifier for the radio club or another identifier the operator uses (so in the case of the World Radio club example, 2WR123 is simply World Radio 123 from the United States, 26AD456 would then be Alpha Delta 456 from England). 

International CB and 11 meter operators are more likely to use the NNLLNNN system or prefix system for self-assigned 11m callsigns and a lot of US stations do not use this system, and simply use a three digit number or a handle of their choice, even when talking to stations outside the US. 

Here's the whole list if you're interested:

http://27mhz.50megs.com/prefix.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 1733 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 1858 UTC »
Some people also self choose 2 and 4 digit calls, too. Not all of them are affiliated with a group.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 1910 UTC »
Thanks for the quick replies. The few web search results I looked at said people just made up the three digit identifiers and I did't buy it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 2017 UTC »
In Omaha they have or had the "Delta Xray Club" that meets on 38 lower as I recall. They issue calls to members, mine was DX122. Cb dxing or talk of dxing was discouraged by the net, even though the name of the club was Delta Xray.  A group of HAMs and cbers still hang out on 455 lower in the Omaha area.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.