We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: How to track & recover a NWS weather balloon & radiosonde  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to track & recover a NWS weather balloon & radiosonde
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 2146 UTC »
Good video Josh, Thanks.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 2245 UTC »
I spend a lot of time in the woods and have been fortunate enough to have find Two of them over the years randomly. Not much to them, but fun to dissect. The guys I work with were really fascinated with them also.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 2323 UTC »
Props to all who venture forth into the wild, me, I'd get bit by some snake(s), covered in fleas and ticks, and etc. As much as I'd like to harvest me one of them sondes, I'm safer here by the radio.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 0137 UTC »
Both of the ones I found were hanging by their parachute stuck in a tree. When I found the first One I had no idea what it was.

Offline domestos

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 0555 UTC »
I saw a bunch of boys and teenagers get dragged through a cow pasture by one in the summer of 1968. Talk about a failure in judgement! At least most of them had the sense to let go before they hit a barbed wire fence and headed into the woods.

NOAA and the NWS used to ask that people either contact them about the location or bring the radiosonde in those days.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 1322 UTC »
NOAA and the NWS used to ask that people either contact them about the location or bring the radiosonde in those days.

They still take them back so they can be refurbished and re-used, but most trackers keep them. It's the perfect QSL.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 2323 UTC »
That balloon still had a lot of lift even though it was dragging it's tether at about seven feet above the ground. That bunch had a load of fun riding that balloon down the hill and across the pasture. If the wind hadn't shifted they would've ended up on a state   highway and tangled in power and phone lines.

I didn't know the Govt. still took the radiosonde's back?

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns