We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Gear prices  (Read 5339 times)

Matt285

Re: Gear prices
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 1109 UTC »
Now, I'm trying to figure if I wanna' another go of it, just to have the cables fail, yet again?

Don't put yourself through that aggravation again- I will send you my shipping address and then you can be rid of that pesky receiver for good!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 2220 UTC »
Now, I'm trying to figure if I wanna' another go of it, just to have the cables fail, yet again?

Don't put yourself through that aggravation again- I will send you my shipping address and then you can be rid of that pesky receiver for good!

I suspect this thing will always fail in the same manner, in such case I'd leave the thing open and fold it only on rare occasions so as to reduce the work hardening or whatever is causing the cable to fail. Needless to say I h8 ribbon cables but they're a necessary evil.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline pjxii

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 0234 UTC »
LOl oh yeah I forgot about the Sony cult, remember the one that did fax reception and printed it on paper?

"Just $12K Canadian Tire Dollars! https://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-CRF-V21-shortwave-radio/293062083901"

I remember seeing a Panasonic RF-9000 being offered on eBay for $14,000. I think it was also in Canada, perhaps the same person selling off his collection.

Offline pjxii

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 0248 UTC »
Sony portable radios have gone for > $1K

Radio collectors are a mystery to me

I will admit to being somewhat of a receiver collector, mainly vintage gear that I wanted when I was a teenager/young adult. Nostalgia, really. It's about finally being in a financial position to own radios that I thought would be awesome to have instead of my 1960s multiband portable that I used for many years.

That being said, I'd never pay the price that most of them are offered for on eBay today. Way overpriced, IMO. If I'm interested in a specific receiver I'll wait for a good price, as they are also sold on QRZ, eHam etc. I did, however, drop quite a bit on a Drake R7A because it was within driving distance and sold by someone I trusted. Had an R7 before and foolishly sold it, really wanted another, but if I wasn't able to actually see it before purchase I would not have bought it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 1817 UTC »
Tother day was listening to some HAMs on a 2m repeater. They discussed another fellow HAM finding a Icom IC706MkIIG at a garage sale for 10 dollas, and it worked fine. Guess the previous owners thought it was a cb and priced it accordingly.
Never know what you will find at them garage sales.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns