We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark III  (Read 1460 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark III
« on: June 24, 2019, 2140 UTC »
Previous posts here for reference:
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,41737.0.html
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,51597.0.html

F connectors have proven to be more reliable than BNC connectors, but also more annoying to move around.  I got some push on F adapters to put on some of the cables, and they do make it much faster, but eventually the fingers become loose, and with the weight of the cables they can easily fall off.

On another thread someone asked about RCA connectors and whether they were suitable for RF work. Lots of old ham gear used them, they were common for external VFOs for example. That got me to re-thinking whether or not to try RCA connectors. They are fairly rigged and should survive many cycles. I ordered some RCA to F adapters so I would not have to re-build the patch board. I also found two adapters and an RCA cable and ran a test, and did not notice any decrease in signal strength vs RG6 coax.  Now to find some more RCA patch cables, I am sure there's a bunch around the house. I may check out Goodwill/etc for old TV composite cables, which are usually pretty good quality.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark III
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 2236 UTC »
For short runs the rca types should be great for even higher freq stuff. A friend who made a patch panel like yours for hf used uhf and uhf quick connects as I recall. Some switches might be helpful too.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark III
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 0244 UTC »
If you remember the old "Tuna Tin" CW transmitters, those kits came with RCA plugs for both the key and the antenna connections.