We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 97X Owensboro's Best Rock  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
97X Owensboro's Best Rock
« on: June 22, 2019, 0515 UTC »
Hadn't really checked rx performance on the R7000 just gotten (see Project 7000 thread for details) so applied ac line and a piece of wire a few feet long into the center contact of the N connector since running out of freaking N adapters for any decent v/uhf antenna. Anyway after becoming fearful that the rig actually might be deaf as the seller embellished, wriggling the wire suddenly brought in the fmbc band! Wire barely had any exposed metal, so its position was critical. I had pretuned fmbc knowing several strong stations were in rx range of even insensitive fm radios.

I tuned around the band and there's stations on every channel, more than one in most cases. Landing on a rock track (Linkin Park - Numb 12:50 local time) I stayed long enough to catch an id, 97X (97.1) out of the Evansville area, 58 miles away by air. Not too shabby for a R7000 with few feet of wire laying horizontally inside a place with aluminum siding.

https://onlineradiobox.com/us/wxcmfm/playlist/?cs=us.wxcmfm
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 97X Owensboro's Best Rock
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 0826 UTC »
Evansville, home of that swill of my youth, Falls City Beer. It was better than Iron City and Black Label, sorry Mable, and cheaper than Stroh's.

Amazingly Falls City's premium beer, Drummond Brothers, was damned good and still cheaper than Bud and Stroh's. It was in the upper echelon of beer of it's time along with PBR.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 1517 UTC »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 1808 UTC »
Thanks for the speedos warning.

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 0031 UTC »
While sitting in my car outside Noyes Hospital (in Dansville, NY) Friday (the 22nd) waiting for my riders I was listening to 107.7 "Alt Buffalo" just before noon EDT, when a country station took over the frequency. I didn't recognize the song, unfortunately. Right near the top of the hour they ID'd as "Big Country, Spenser, Iowa" - KICO. They run 100kW from only 87 feet AAT. Not bad for a stock Ford car radio.

Correction: It's actually KICD, not KICO, and Spencer, not Spenser... Getting harder to read the fine print in my FM Atlas!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 1649 UTC by jta »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 0709 UTC »
Very nice! I recall an opening in the 90s in Nebraska with Ks and Mo stations on a car radio.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 0019 UTC »
A friend and I did some DX in an opening about 15 years ago.  One thing I took away from that was how few rock stations there were in the country.  Almost everything we heard was country, with a little thumpa-thumpa here and there.  In the land of milk toast, anything foreign language or hip-hop came from a long long way away.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns