We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Scrambled and/or useless signals on 48m  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Scrambled and/or useless signals on 48m
« on: June 27, 2019, 1000 UTC »
(...)
Talking of out of band, what is this 'noise' around 6220 currently?. You can hear it on the Twente SDR. Its like SSB and could be speech but is garbled. I can't make it out at all on USB/LSB?

Been there often lately. Shortwave is full of unexplained stuff. And the spitting UTE on 6202, what is that all about? Can't think what function that performs...
On 27 June at 0945 : scrambled voice on 6215-6218 bandwidth.

Since LHH has moved to 6210 to avoid the spitting UTE on 6202-6203,
that spitting UTE has disappeared. Sounds to be only jamming...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 1012 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Scrambled and/or useless signals on 48m
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 1043 UTC »
The spitting UTE could return to hamper LHH's broadcasts anytime soon.

Unfortunately, it was an extremely effective jammer that had no right to have been there in the first place.

My take,

Over and out.

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 1906 UTC »
The spitting UTE could return to hamper LHH's broadcasts anytime soon.

Unfortunately, it was an extremely effective jammer that had no right to have been there in the first place.

My take,

Over and out.

Twente SDR, as I type, 6205 is LHH, reception is ruined by the spitting utility. >:(

Offline texas1dxer

• Austin, Texas
  • Texas Radio Shortwave
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 2004 UTC »
2005 The KiwiSDR in Lower Odcombe UK, 6205 has a little of the spitter but LHH is so strong, the spitter is just annoying.
Pse eQSL to texas1dxer@gmail.com.  Thank you!

Unless otherwise noted, the receiver is my KiwiSDR colocated with W3HFU, Westminster, MD, USA.

'Home" receiver for European low-power radio stations is the SDXF KiwiSDR at Skane, Sweden, unless otherwise noted.

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 2029 UTC »
Talking of out of band, what is this 'noise' around 6220 currently?. You can hear it on the Twente SDR. Its like SSB and could be speech but is garbled. I can't make it out at all on USB/LSB?

This is spurious product from Iranian transmitter in Zahedan on 6155 kHz broadcasting VOIRI Arabic service. Now it is audible every evening here too.
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 2140 UTC »

This is spurious product from Iranian transmitter in Zahedan on 6155 kHz broadcasting VOIRI Arabic service. Now it is audible every evening here too.
Spur heard on Sunday 23 June at 1900-2000z approx, disturbing Radio Doctor Tim on 6220.
I thought it could be the KBS relay disturbing also 6205 at the same time.
I should have checked with a second receiver direct on SW (don't use a stream or a different SDR for checking, because of different delays). The spurs are usually too much garbled to be identified directly, but by listening to the official frequency with the other ear, it can be identified . Hint : the spurs are quite often about 60 kHz away from the normal frequency.

edit : spur on 6205 from KBS relay on 6145 (via Wooferton?) everyday   at 1900-2000 utc
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 2157 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 2142 UTC »

6220-6155=65 KHz.
So possibly a faulty PDM filter in the transmitter.

Modern transmitters generate frequencies usually in the 60-80 KHz range. These must be filtered out before the antenna. Occasionally these filters fail. Most likely a capacitor.
I pointed out recently that one of the Woofferton transmitters had this issue. It wasn't the first and it won't be the last transmitter that this will happen to. Normally it's sorted out within a few days.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 2202 UTC by Brian »

Offline The Ether Hacker

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 2153 UTC »

.... So Radio Havana, Cuba, is not the only "legal" station with badly serviced transmitters on 48 meters at the moment
Antennas: Multi-band doublet for 80 to 10m HF and vertical groundplane
RX: Kenwood R-2000
QTH: Northern England

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 0055 UTC »
If I were the owner of LHH, I'd do a couple of things.

1st  -   transmit in // on a second 6 Mhz frequency not close to 6205/6210, announcing both frequencies.

2nd -   use high power on the new frequency, and moderate power on 6205/6210.

3rd  -   reduce the Shoutcast LHH Internet Stream that carries the shortwave service from 192K to 32K
            to enable net users residing in countries with Internet restrictions to listen online. That would
            definitely benefit me.

DXing is a great hobby, but listening to a station's programmes on an Internet stream is a good alternative when said station cannot be received well via its transmitter or transmitters.

(Here in China, Weebly, Tune-In and Soundcloud are BLOCKED. In contrast, Mixcloud can be accessed, but there are buffering problems due to slow Internet for long periods. The best time period for me is from about 1700 UTC  to 0300 UTC.)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 0157 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline fox558

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 0214 UTC »

Ah so legal stations cause more interference than pirates do and run dirty rigs. Does Iran have their equivalent of the FCC or ofcom?

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 1358 UTC »
Does Iran have their equivalent of the FCC or ofcom?

Yes, Iranian equivalent of the FCC or Ofcom is the Communications Regulatory Authority (CRA) of The I.R. of Iran:

https://www.cra.ir/en/enhome

Removing national and international radio frequency interferences is their immediate task.

Since LHH has moved to 6210 to avoid the spitting UTE on 6202-6203,
that spitting UTE has disappeared. Sounds to be only jamming...

Results of the TDoA analysis for this UTE point to the northern coast of Turkey:

However, network of several transmitters in different locations can be active there too. The protocol is unfamiliar for me. I suppose 3G ALE (ARCS, STANAG 4538) GM2100 Rohde & Schwarz HF Modem. But it would be great if somebody could identify it more exactly.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 1531 UTC by ulx2 »
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

Offline The Ether Hacker

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 1451 UTC »

Ah so legal stations cause more interference than pirates do and run dirty rigs. Does Iran have their equivalent of the FCC or ofcom?

Those who rule over us are generally ABOVE the laws THEY make ... don't you know....
Antennas: Multi-band doublet for 80 to 10m HF and vertical groundplane
RX: Kenwood R-2000
QTH: Northern England

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 1823 UTC »
Quote from: ulx2 Talking of out of band, what is this 'noise' around 6220 currently?.
                             You can hear it on the Twente SDR. Its like SSB and could be speech but is garbled.
                             I can't make it out at all on USB/LSB?

Quote from: fox558 This is spurious product from Iranian transmitter in Zahedan on 6155 kHz broadcasting VOIRI Arabic service.
                              Now it is audible every evening here too.

Quote from: The Ether Hacker Ah so legal stations cause more interference than pirates do and run dirty rigs.
                                             Does Iran have their equivalent of the FCC or ofcom?
                                             Those who rule over us are generally ABOVE the laws THEY make ... don't you know....

Like YOU, I KNOW. :)

Re LHHI, the programs on the two 48K AAC Shoutcast Internet streams do not match what is transmitted on 6210 at this time. :(

I'm glad I can access the station's Internet streams above most of the time without buffering problems. :)

The audio of the station via an SDR is up to a minute ahead of the station's audio via the 48K Internet stream.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 2010 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 1943 UTC »
1940 utc :

spur from 6145 KBS Wooferton : on 6205 approx.

spur from 6155 IRIB : on 6220 approx.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 1947 UTC »
1940 utc :

spur from 6145 KBS Wooferton : on 6205 approx.

spur from 6155 IRIB : on 6220 approx.

Both probably PDM filter faults.

Re the spitting jamming, I don't think this is deliberate jamming. An almost identical signal can be received on 6282ish.