We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: California Earthquakes Disrupted HF (Shortwave Radio) Propagation on West Coast  (Read 1312 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
British Columbia radio amateur Alex Schwarz, VE7DXW, said that an Independence Day magnitude 6.4 earthquake in California’s Mojave Desert and multiple aftershocks negatively affected HF propagation on the US west coast. Schwarz, who maintains the “RF Seismograph” and has drawn a correlation between earthquake activity and HF band conditions, said the radio disruption began at around 1600 UTC on July 4, and continued into July 5. He said that on July 4, the blackout was total except for 20 meters, where conditions were “severely attenuated,” Schwarz said. The RF Seismograph also detected the magnitude 7.1 earthquake on July 6 in the same vicinity, Schwarz reported. The distance between the monitoring station in Vancouver, British Columbia, and that quake’s epicenter is 1,240 miles.

Full story:
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/report-california-earthquakes-disrupted-hf-propagation-on-west-coast
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm interested to know more about the mechanism behind the noise.  Schwarz refers twice to "field lines" from the quakes, but what generates them?  Rock scraping on rock shouldn't, but perhaps the movement of ferromagnetic material in the plates through the Earth's magnetic field generates spurious electric fields and RF disruptions?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

https://news.stanford.edu/pr/91/911231Arc1006.html

There's also an ex-usgs guy who has made a career out west of predicting earthquakes using pet lost-and-found ads in the San Jose Murky News.

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'll say that since the quakes, the HF bands haven't been exactly great anywhere. I noticed today, on a few different Kiwis, the static from lightning was nil, but the underlying hiss was S5 - S7 or more, with no evident QRM to cause it. It was just like a dull sizzle, not pops or buzzing.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

Thanks for the link.  I knew currents could deform slices of crystal to create buzzers, but was not aware this worked in reverse on a grand scale.

There's also an ex-usgs guy who has made a career out west of predicting earthquakes using pet lost-and-found ads in the San Jose Murky News.

I think I heard this guy on "Art Bell's Somewhere In Time" last weekend.  The name escapes me, but the guest was talking about how animals start running away in larger numbers in the lead up to quakes.  He mentioned something I'd never considered, as intuitive as it is:  the longer a fault goes without a several smaller quakes, the larger the next quake will be.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
"Thanks for the link.  I knew currents could deform slices of crystal to create buzzers, but was not aware this worked in reverse on a grand scale."

Just a musing, why wouldn't it work on a continental scale?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
I'd figure it's a process that only works on the surface of materials, and that surface area to volume for continental plates is much smaller than on small crystals. Some processes dont scale very well in chemistry or physics. And then I'd suspect that whatever RF is being generated is being severely attenuated by gigatons of earth between it and free space.

But now I know better!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
https://news.stanford.edu/pr/91/911231Arc1006.html

I remember that guy. I understand he passed recently.

He was doing some groundbreaking work involving penguin behavior in south Chile before those big 8 mag. quakes there towards the end.