We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Braised chicken thighs  (Read 3036 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Braised chicken thighs
« on: July 11, 2019, 1827 UTC »
I pan seared the chicken, deglazed the pan, then braised in a 350F oven for one hour (be sure to keep the liquid below the top of the chicken so the skin remains crispy). Then reduced the liquid to make the sauce.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jta

• View Profile
Re: Braised chicken thighs
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 1534 UTC »
Were you a chef in a previous life, Chris? Looks good enough to eat off the screen!

Of course I looked at this just before lunch...

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 1759 UTC »
One flaw, an hour was a bit too long. I will try 30 minutes next time and check the temperature to see if it is done (170F). Cooking is an iterative process.

I enjoy cooking, and sometimes think it would be fun to be a chef and run a restaurant. Then I realize that it would be less of a hassle to take the pile of money you'd use to start a restaurant, and just set it on fire.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 1850 UTC »
Looks great. I have really come to love Chicken thighs more and more. They are way less expensive and even if you let them cook a bit to long they are still tender and juicy. My favorites to make are Chicken teriyaki, Bourbon chicken or mince it up and make barbecue sandwiches. Endless possibilities though. 

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 1859 UTC »
Looks great. I have really come to love Chicken thighs more and more. They are way less expensive and even if you let them cook a bit to long they are still tender and juicy. My favorites to make are Chicken teriyaki, Bourbon chicken or mince it up and make barbecue sandwiches. Endless possibilities though.

Absolutely! I used to prefer white meat, then realized dark meat has more fat which means more flavor, and therefore even healthier for you.  And as you mentioned they are more forgiving.  Our local stores usually have chicken leg quarters for 89 cents a pound, for an even better deal. The thighs were $1.29/lb, still a good deal.

I do still like my Buffalo style wings, of course  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Matt285

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 1917 UTC »
I love wings also, but what I do sometimes is buy drumsticks and make them just like I do my wings. Certainly not quite as good, but a lot of tender meat for the money!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 1929 UTC »
Right now I've a fetish for whatthisstuffhere sauce (Worcestershire) and chikin brests. Add a slab of sharp cheddar and some dark rye to hold it all together and there you go.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 1135 UTC »
I've got a cousin who owns a couple of BBQ joints. Whole legs and thighs are his second top bird orders. A half chicken is number one for the crowd who aren't there for the pulled pork. The pig is there until they sell out for the day, the bird is an all day item.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 1306 UTC »
Some of the best BBQ I have eaten was in Putney Vermont of all places.  I knew it would be good as soon as I pulled in, since the quality of BBQ is invariably the inverse of the aesthetics. BBQ served out of an old school bus? It's going to be good.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns