We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Gloucester angry bahstad fishermen 6870 USB 2226 UTC 11 Jul 2019  (Read 1288 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
2226 The usual routine, although it's been a whole two minutes without any F bombs.
2229 There we go.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Maybe this is better suited for the Peskies forum?   ;D

IIRC, 6870 kHz USB is a new frequency for them.  I know they've hung around 6095 kHz USB, 6212 kHz USB and a couple frequencies in the 6900 kHz to 7000 kHz range. 

I have a feeling there's several different fishing fleets involved, perhaps each of them have their own set of "private" frequencies programmed in their radios?  On my recent trip to New England I did stop and spend an afternoon in Gloucester.  I noted that not only do all the fishing vessels have multiple VHF and HF antennas, but many of the fisheries buildings and facilities on the waterfront had VHF (and MF/HF) antennas on their roofs as well. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I was thinking of Peskies as non EE outbanders, but sure, I am open to moving it.

I've heard these guys on quite a few 6.x MHz frequencies, they may be elsewhere. Often enough that I recognize their voices. They like to sit inside the 49m SWBC band during the daytime when there's no one else there except CFRX and the occasional Link-11.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
The use of 6090 kHz and other frequencies within the 49 meter broadcast band during the daytime almost points to them using NVIS as their propagation mode of choice...that, or they're even closer to each other than NVIS range.  Hard to say for sure.  Since they're certainly pescadores in the literal sense, and they operate out of the legal marine band (some of the time) they probably belong in the peskies forum. 

The owners/captains of these boats likely had their radios programmed with several different frequencies that can be picked "on the fly" (channelized or programmed into the radio's memory) depending on time of day, interference and who they want (or don't want) listening in on their conversation.  While 6212 kHz is one of the ITU standard HF marine channels, the other frequencies they've been heard on are out of band (either in 49 meters or in the fixed/mobile allocation that is 43 meters / 6765-7000 kHz).

Considering the sheer number of Spanish and Portuguese language chatter I've heard on the higher frequencies - that is, from roughly 7300 kHz or 7400 kHz up through 8 MHz into the bottom and middle portion of 9 MHz, I'm surprised these guys aren't using those frequencies as well.   If they are within NVIS range of each other, they probably have a lower frequency (I imagine somewhere in the 3-5 MHz range) for use when 6 MHz isn't playing nicely. 

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m