We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: From the "things that could, no, will, go horribly wrong" department  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
It makes you wonder what became of Andy Devine, doesn't it?

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Had to look him up. He's the 'Andy' in the song on 'One size fits all'. How interesting! Good tune/Album for those who haven't heard....

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pigmeat do you remember Andy's Gang ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtmR-cCjn0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 1438 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
"Plunk yer magic twanger, Froggy!"

I saw it in re-runs sponsored by the local "Buster Brown Shoe Store" in the early 60's. Our Buster Brown store shared a building with Western Auto. When their "Red Ball Express" sneakers hit the market their slogan was "Run faster and jump higher!". In 1964 to promote the brand, they strapped a guy into a jet pack in an empty lot behind the building. He flew over the building and scorched the Hell out of couple of antique cars at the street fair.

I wore Buster Brown's to school and church. Red Ball Express? They weren't P.F. Flyers, my normal playground kicks. In the summer we went barefoot. "Aaw Ma! I don't need no shoes!"

Fansome had hooves, we had to take him across the river to get shoed once a year by the blacksmith.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
I always suspected Al was a satyr!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Satyr? Yeah, he can write it all, fiction, non-fiction, plays, poems and all the rest of that junk. Cypherin' is his top skill. He can figure out train schedules and racing forms at the same time.

My real exposure to Andy Devine came from old cowboy movies on cable access. I lived in a place where you were lucky to get two channels due to terrain. In the mid-late 60's a friend's Dad started a cable company, seven channels, plus the access one. It was a modern miracle.

The guy and his best friend, the local HS sports announcer loved old cowboy movies. They showed those old two and three reel serial westerns from the 30's, with cliff hanger endings, between 6 and 8 p.m. on weekday nights. Andy was in probably a third of them as either a sidekick or a bad guy.

The guy who owned the cable company and his buddy were more entertaining than a lot of those films. They started with a bit of buzz and got drunker as the show went on. The mistakes in the films were a real hoot. Our heroes of the Old West would be saving wagon trains from wild Natives, while you could see cars and trucks going up and down highways in the far background. Why those settlers didn't take the bus is beyond me?

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
That reminds me....we haven't heard Orbital Mind Control Satellite in quite some time! It would be nice to see if they are still around! Hopefully they haven't been captured by the Plutonium Underground  :-\

Orbital Mind Control Satellite was/is one of the best pirate stations, ever, with Commander Bunny following at a close second.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Which Commander Bunny? I had the honors in the Radio Al Fansome broadcasts. Easiest damned station I ever did. While I'd be looking at the reports thinking of QSL ideas, Al's own pre-printed ones would be hitting DX'er's mailbox's starting on Monday. That man is a wonder!

There were at least three I know of, the original Radio Bunny, tapes of which were supposedly found by the second Commander Bunny, of the WBNY you guys know, at a yard sale.

Those are the three Commander Bunny's I know of. It wouldn't surprise if there weren't more? That voice was dead easy to do.

If anyone else wants to be the Dread Pirate Bunny, feel free!

Fansome

I just want to say that pirating is illegal, and the idea of my participation is just preposterous.

Which Commander Bunny? I had the honors in the Radio Al Fansome broadcasts. Easiest damned station I ever did. While I'd be looking at the reports thinking of QSL ideas, Al's own pre-printed ones would be hitting DX'er's mailbox's starting on Monday. That man is a wonder!

There were at least three I know of, the original Radio Bunny, tapes of which were supposedly found by the second Commander Bunny, of the WBNY you guys know, at a yard sale.

Those are the three Commander Bunny's I know of. It wouldn't surprise if there weren't more? That voice was dead easy to do.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Have fun storming the secret base!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Have fun storming the secret base!

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Trejo is in? That means Chuck Norris and Ted Nugent are in, too. If they can get Robbie Kneivel and his motorcycle daredevil  buddies up to help, they won't have to storm the gates. Robbie and his friends will jump those puny fences, then blast the gates open from the inside.

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
I put "interested"
I figured it was a joke, sorta like the "Stevie Wonder Performing Live At Eyeglass World" sorta thing. But I thought it would be funny to follow

Xmas

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I just want to say that pirating is illegal, and the idea of my participation is just preposterous.

You've got to turn the transmitter on to violate the law, Al. Being a weirdo that mails out QSL's isn't an offense. However, the FBI might want to talk to you about that box outside your trailer and who you kept in it? There's no statute of limitations on kidnapping or false imprisonment.

BTW, have you seen Capt. Ron lately?

Scotty, do you remember the "Save Ronnie Milsap's  Eye" movement in the country music world of the 1980's? The man was blind as bat from birth, there was nothing to save! The country music industry in Nashville is worse than a nest of TV preachers.