We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RS PRO-2006 illumination  (Read 58951 times)

Online jta

• View Profile
RS PRO-2006 illumination
« on: July 14, 2019, 1710 UTC »
Does anyone know of a replacement readout back light assembly for this baby? As I recall, they were getting scarce the last time I had one, but I gotta ask. I don't care if it isn't the OEM panel, certainly a few LEDs should work. Any info appreciated. 73, jta

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: RS PRO-2006 illumination
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 1749 UTC »
jta, I successfully changed my backlight strip and it has ran beautifully for 5 years now.

Here are links to a couple backlight replacement instructions that I used for reference:
http://www.2manytoyz.com/newel
http://www.webaugur.com/ham-radio/51-realistic-pro-2006-hardware-modifications.html

All Electronics (https://www.allelectronics.com/category/213/electroluminescent-strips/1.html) did not have the correct size back then but you might check with them anyways since the prices are right. I ended up purchasing a kit from Miller Engineering (https://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html) and cutting the strip to size. It wasn't that difficult to do and the results are fantastic.

Good luck.
eQSLs appreciated! Send to: aurora6925 (at) mail.com
Icom 756Pro3 rig & 133 ft Carolina-Windom ant
Pittsburgh PA

Online jta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 1948 UTC »
Thx, Aurora! I may wind up going with Miller myself as the job doesn't look too difficult.

BTW, the 2manytoyz URL keeps reporting Not Found... But the other one works fine.

I see you use a Pro3 - I also have one (doesn't xmit); it replaced a somewhat modified R-75. The only thing it lacks is a waterfall display!

Thanks again and 73, jta

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 2054 UTC »

BTW, the 2manytoyz URL keeps reporting Not Found... But the other one works fine.

Not sure why it would not open. I tried it again and it opened quickly in both Chrome and IE 11 browsers. When I tried to open it in Firefox it took forever but it eventually did open. It is a nice web page with many step-by-step photo instructions.

http://www.2manytoyz.com/newel

(Yes, I feel the Pro3 is the best receiver I ever owned - but it is amazing what others are doing with these AirSpy  / SDR systems.)
Pittsburgh PA

Online jta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 1133 UTC »
Very strange; both links worked fine this morning...

Thanks again! 73, jta

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 1842 UTC »
Thanks for the links. I need new illumination for a DX 394 .   Im a little confused on the voltage . Just skimming over it one said 120 v  and the other shows it running on some AAAs.
Without taking it apart or looking for a schematic does anyone know if these are universal ?
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Online jta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 1706 UTC »
I'll guess and say that most luminescent panels would run off very low DC voltage, perhaps 3VDC or less. They certainly wouldn't handle 120V (for more than about one nanosecond!)...

Offline aurora

• DX Legend
  • Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 0442 UTC »
It may be both. My Realistic PRO-2004 scanner uses an Electro Luminescence (EL) strip to backlight the LED display. The EL strip runs on 70-100 V rms, 300 hz A.C. generated by the display board.

Most EL Experimenter kits come packaged with an inverter to power the strip. The inverter is requires 3v DC (usually a couple AA cells) and in turn the inverter outputs 100VAC to the EL strip.
Pittsburgh PA

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 0440 UTC »
Thanks for your help Aurora.  Its on my bucket list
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43