We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sporadic E, Es Propagation  (Read 42130 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Sporadic E, Es Propagation
« on: July 23, 2019, 1614 UTC »
Sporadic E propagation, by its name is sporadic and unpredictable by nature, but it enables radio signals to travel over much greater distances and often at higher frequencies than would normally be possible via the ionosphere.

Article: https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/antennas-propagation/ionospheric/sporadic-e-es.php
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Sporadic E, Es Propagation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 1458 UTC »
I love me some sporadic-E (Es, E-Sporadic, E-skip, among other names).  The awesome 11 meter and 10 meter band openings over the past couple months have been a lot of fun.  No VHF low band skip to note, but I imagine with a better receiver and more patience there's some stuff out there.  Unfortunately a lot of the previous VHF low band skip monitoring targets have partially or completed moved off the 29-50 MHz range.  25-30 MHz (mostly 25-28 MHz or 26-28 MHz) is still very much heavily used however. 

When the solar cycle peaks again, maybe California Highway Patrol will still be on lowband.  I remember listening to them on 42 MHz using a Radio Shack Pro-79 scanner and the factory rubber duck antenna indoors!  I could hear lots of military comms on low band (30.050 MHz, 30.300 MHz, 30.450 MHz, 31.000 MHz and several others would often boom in, it was only later that I found out that 30.45 MHz is Fort Hood Range Control primary, likely a simple 20 or 50 watt base station with a RC-292 or similar 1/4 wave ground plane antenna!).   I know Missouri Highway Patrol and several others are no longer on low band.   The NYC area cab companies, gypsy cabs, car services and similar comms would come booming in (30.6 MHz to 32 MHz, often mixing in with Spanish language chatter using the wrong frequency steps).  There are still tons of car services licensed in New York in the 30-40 MHz region. 

Sporadic-E is awesome.  When its really going, frequencies above 50 MHz / 6 meters and even the FM broadcast band can be enhanced....
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 0604 UTC »
Not much E-skip in my corner of the US (especially in the FM/VHF range), but when I had a 11 meter beam in 1990 I probably experienced some.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline HERMANROCKS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 2122 UTC »
Here in the Northeast, there is short skip everyday on 10 & 11 meters.

And great groundwave conditions, related to weather changes.

http://www.wa2ooo.com