We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 14.230 - to phone or not to phone?  (Read 13881 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
14.230 - to phone or not to phone?
« on: July 28, 2019, 1912 UTC »
I was tuned into 14.230 for some SSTV rx and possibly tx, as I try to see if I have things set up correctly, when I hear a ham on phone, N9VTB calling CQ and engaging in QSO's. At some point he claims that those stating that 14.230 is reserved for SSTV are wrong, and at some point called hams making such claims are malicious.

Now, the ARRL band plan page clearly shows that 14.230 is the SSTV frequency, but the ARRL band plan is somewhat voluntary/self regulating. The FCC says 14.150-14.350 is for "phone and image" meaning that sure, you can talk on 14.230 but hey, you can also send SSTV anywhere in that range. I assume that convenience was a factor in setting one specific place in the band for SSTV so that those wishing to send them could easily find others doing the same. Still, when I tested for my license I recall various questions and answers directing hams to employ "best practice," and that conforming to the ARRL band plan is one of the ways you do that.

I'm interested in what others think. I feel that this guy either doesn't understand or is ignorant of the band plan. Or even that he knows but doesn't respect it. Would he feel entitled to running RTTY or some other data mode on 14.100?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: 14.230 - to phone or not to phone?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 1935 UTC »
A lot of the standard frequencies are by gentlemen's agreement and not an enforcement issue if you transmit the wrong mode there. My argument would be since that gentlemen agree on SSTV use on 14230 kHz then to argue otherwise makes you a...

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 2021 UTC »
Since you asked for my opinion... 14230 is meant for SSTV, period. If you're calling voice CQ on 14230 you are a lid, period.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 0305 UTC »
N9VTB's license is canceled according to the FCC DB, so he shouldn't be calling CQ anywhere.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 1125 UTC »
N9VTB's license is canceled according to the FCC DB, so he shouldn't be calling CQ anywhere.

And now it all makes sense  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 1254 UTC »

Maybe you transposed letters when you looked him up? N9VTB is active.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3949561
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 1413 UTC »
I was looking at this:

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=764946

I suppose I don't understand how the FCC DB works.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 1525 UTC »
I was looking at this:

That is weird. I'm not sure how both those entries can be in the database.
Denver, CO.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 1528 UTC »
Everyone with experience on hf knows where sstv takes place on hf, so he's obviously trolling. As far as "legality", whoever was on freq first has squatters rights. Often some contest guy or a real HAM strays into 7173 and starts to call cq via ssb not realising there may be several sstv stations operating there, a strong burst of easypal or scotty sends them scurrying.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 1529 UTC »
I was looking at this:

That is weird. I'm not sure how both those entries can be in the database.

I take it for whatever reason he gave up or lost the license in 15 and has now regained it as a vanity call.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 1549 UTC »
Everyone with experience on hf knows where sstv takes place on hf, so he's obviously trolling. As far as "legality", whoever was on freq first has squatters rights. Often some contest guy or a real HAM strays into 7173 and starts to call cq via ssb not realising there may be several sstv stations operating there, a strong burst of easypal or scotty sends them scurrying.

I understand that the voluntary band plan (as opposed to the FCC's hardline "RTTY & data this side/voice and image that side" rules for each band) kind of goes out the window during contests and that that's accepted practice too, but yeah, there wasn't any major phone contest on 20m yesterday so that doesn't apply. I guess the guy is a lid, per Chris.
Denver, CO.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 1646 UTC »
A few searches on the internet for N9VTB came up with....ARRL Letter, Vol.22, No.17, April 25, 2003
FCC ALLEGES MICHIGAN HAM ENGAGED IN DELIBERATE INTERFERENCE, THREATS

The FCC alleges that a Michigan ham engaged in deliberate interference and broadcasting and threatened other amateurs, and it's sending Michael Guernsey Sr, ND8V, of Parchment a tape recording to back up those assertions. Since late 1998, Guernsey has been the recipient of seven letters from FCC Special Counsel Riley Hollingsworth, including two
warning notices. ......
In a related letter, Hollingsworth issued similar words of caution to George Zardecki, N9VTB, of Chicago, with whom, he says, Guernsey has squabbled on the air. While Hollingsworth indicated that he would review and take action regarding Zardecki's deliberate interference complaints, he advised Zardecki that "in several instances, your own conduct was as bad or worse than the party about whom you complained." He cautioned Zardecki against retaliatory interference, slander and name calling.

N9VTB internet searches also show 20M activity on freq. 14.275, 14.313 and VE7KFM  :o
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 1707 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 2019 UTC »
Wow. Now, THAT explains a lot.
Denver, CO.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 2123 UTC »
Oh no, someone mentioned The Voice of Canada.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 2141 UTC »
Oh no, someone mentioned The Voice of Canada.

Don't say his call three times, or he appears on the HFU.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD