We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Which SSTV software?  (Read 5999 times)

Offline olddxer

• View Profile
    • Email
Which SSTV software?
« on: August 10, 2019, 0151 UTC »
So what SSTV software are folks using these days?
Anan 8000DLE, Drake R8B, NRD-515, Perseus SDR, a bunch of Hammarlunds, Inverted V multiband dipole

Merohde@columbus.rr.com

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which SSTV software?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 0931 UTC »
I'm using MMSSTV, easy to use and free.

https://hamsoft.ca/pages/mmsstv.php
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 1116 UTC »
I use Black Cat SSTV, but I am biased since I wrote it  :)

It has a very carefully tuned VIS detection system, so it can receive even the weakest of SSTV transmissions.  For Windows and macOS: https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sstv.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 1359 UTC »
I use Black Cat SSTV, but I am biased since I wrote it  :)

It has a very carefully tuned VIS detection system, so it can receive even the weakest of SSTV transmissions.  For Windows and macOS: https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sstv.html

I've tried several SSTV decoders and I like Chris' Black Cat software the best. Most consistant decodes and the auto detection of modes works very well. Also, is the easiest to setup and use. You can download it and try it out for a period before you decide whether or not to buy it.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 1622 UTC »
I use both MMSSTV and Black Cat systems version. I often run both at once and the Black Cat app triggers more readily and does not lose sync during fade outs. The decoded quality of both is about the same for the stronger signals. Black Cat has a greater number of detectable modes and they can be enabled or disabled as necessary. I vote for Black Cat SSTV as the better of the two.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline olddxer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 1957 UTC »
Thanks everyone! In the past I had used MMSSTV although it works I always thought was a bit clunky. So, I will give the Black Cat a try.

Anan 8000DLE, Drake R8B, NRD-515, Perseus SDR, a bunch of Hammarlunds, Inverted V multiband dipole

Merohde@columbus.rr.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 1806 UTC »
Wcode, easypal for digital sstv, and dm780.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 1750 UTC »
I often run both at once and the Black Cat app triggers more readily and does not lose sync during fade outs.

Yup.

There are a lot of things I like about MMSSTV, but the way it gives up if there's a fadeout isn't one of them. I've only recently been playing around with Black Cat SSTV and haven't committed to it yet, but the trigger and the way it holds on through fades are two pluses in its favor.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail