We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unlicensed UK 'Radio Operators' - Programme Content - Beware, Ofcom Has Teeth!  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
British media in Russia have been warned to prepare themselves for the consequences after Ofcom fined RT £200,000 for a breach of impartiality rules.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said it is “closely monitoring the development of the situation” in response to the UK watchdog’s decision over the Kremlin-backed broadcaster on Friday.

Ofcom ruled that news channel RT failed to preserve due impartiality in seven news and current affairs programmes between March 17 and April 26 2018.

The programmes were mostly in relation to major matters of political controversy and current public policy – namely the UK Government’s response to the Skripal poisoning in Salisbury, and the Syrian conflict.

We have fined RT £200,000 for serious failures to comply with our broadcasting rules – and required the channel to broadcast a summary of our findings to its viewers: https://t.co/PevBEbeAAE

— Ofcom (@Ofcom) July 26, 2019

In a statement on social media, Russia’s Foreign Ministry said it will “remind British media working in Russia that they should be ready to face the consequences” following the actions from London.

They said that the actions from the broadcasting watchdog were part of an “anti-Russian campaign in the UK”.

In December, Russia’s media watchdog Roskomnadzor launched an investigation into the BBC’s websites and World News channel over alleged violations of Russian law.

It came the day after Ofcom warned it was considering sanctions against RT for breaching its impartiality rules.

Two of the seven RT programmes ruled to have breached impartiality featured former MP George Galloway.

An Ofcom spokeswoman said: “RT’s failings were a serious breach of our due impartiality rules, which protect public trust in news and other programmes.”

Copied and pasted from:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-media-russia-warned-ofcom-145453100.html 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 0217 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
This makes my head spin...

I never knew the UK had impartiality laws like that. What I can't understand is how it applies to other countries' media outlets as well? What about the rubbish that passes for US "news" channels? They have been impartial for decades now! American news outlets should owe OfCom like billions of Euros by now!

I'm really wondering why it would apply to Russian media but not US media. There is a detail missing I'm not aware of here.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
You are not the only 'real radio man' who is flummoxed by Ofcom's bureaucracy!

Me too, and a visit to the link below will inform you there're others who feel the same way!

http://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRadio/msg/1564050435.html

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
You are not the only 'real radio man' who is flummoxed by Ofcom's bureaucracy!

Me too, and a visit to the link below will inform you there're others who feel the same way!

http://members7.boardhost.com/PirateRadio/msg/1564050435.html
Oh dear. You're linking to Garry Stevens message board  ::)

Why is this thread in this forum?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
"I'm really wondering why it would apply to Russian media but not US media. There is a detail missing I'm not aware of here."

It all depends on the criteria for "impartiality". If a story slants from the party line/narrative, that story isn't impartial.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Why is this thread in this forum?

Fixed  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline fox558

• View Profile
The BBC, Sky and Channel 4 news broadcast biased news on daily basis and Ofcom rarely act towards them so it leaves me in no doubt that this is purely an anti Russian agenda

Offline fox558

• View Profile
This makes my head spin...

I never knew the UK had impartiality laws like that. What I can't understand is how it applies to other countries' media outlets as well? What about the rubbish that passes for US "news" channels? They have been impartial for decades now! American news outlets should owe OfCom like billions of Euros by now!

I'm really wondering why it would apply to Russian media but not US media. There is a detail missing I'm not aware of here.
The reason Ofcom can act against RT is that it is based and licenced in the UK as it is a UK TV Channel on Freeview, well RT UK is. It has no jurisdiction on channels licenced outside the UK, like a USA like you say. RT in Russia will have different editorial content and does not have to comply with Ofcoms censorship

As for pirates, they are unlicenced so other than closing them down which they do anyway because that is their job..... pirates have nothing to fear from Ofcom other than the usual threat of closure which has always been the case. And Ofcom can only close UK based pirates anyway. Move along now. Non story
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 1238 UTC by fox558 »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns