We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WW2OK special event station = good midday regional propagation on 40m  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
12/7/11, 7290 LSB, approx 1600-1730z: Been listening to Oklahoma based WW2OK special event station (Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941 memorial).  Around 1715z heard K5OSA at S9 on my indoor antenna, said he was running QRP portable, around 10 watts.  That's approx 180 miles from me.  His signal was actually a bit louder than net control's, and louder than most of the other stations I've heard during check ins late this morning.

Amusingly - at least from a listener's perspective - the net controller says it's darned cold inside the submarine USS Batfish in Muskogee, OK, from which the net control station is operating this week.

But they're generating some regular contacts and midday regional propagation seems good for 40m.  Net control and most stations checking in are hovering from S1-S9+ with roller coaster fades here at home on the indoor fugloop.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 1835 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)