We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Red Thunder calling First Sealord 4028 USB  (Read 15309 times)

Offline ButchKidd

• Southeastern US
    • View Profile
Red Thunder calling First Sealord 4028 USB
« on: August 12, 2019, 1250 UTC »
1240 Red Thunder calling First Sealord several times with nothing heard.
1243 Sealord answers.  Red Thunder acknowledges and out.

The frequency doesn't match up with any of the MARS nets I've heard, and both Red Thunder (male) and First Sealord (female) sounded much younger than the typical MARS op, so I assume it's active or reserve military.

Edit: I found this doc that lists First Sealord as USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) and Red Thunder as possibly USS Ramage (DDG 61)
http://nato.radioscanner.ru/files/article145/mcl_201609.pdf
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 1324 UTC by ButchKidd »
eQSL appreciated at x100rocks@gmail.com
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Yaesu FT-857D and FT-450D, Whistler TRX2
130 ft OCF, 130 ft inverted L, 11m ground plane

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Red Thunder calling First Sealord 4028 USB
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 1814 UTC »
Might have been USN units in a S5522 voice coordination net.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 2019 UTC »
Edit: I found this doc that lists First Sealord as USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) and Red Thunder as possibly USS Ramage (DDG 61)
Would be nice if the "Compiled by Ron" guy included a vessel radio callsign listing, like The Warship Directory by James T. Pogue 1990 (Tiare Publications)
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline tiNG

• JO44QO
  • DX since 1976
    • ICQ Messenger - 144821677
    • View Profile
    • German UTDX-Forum (entirely German...)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 0905 UTC »
Hi guys.

Instead of that overaged list at radioscanner.ru you can find an actual list on the UDXF-website:

-> http://udxf.nl/MCL.pdf

Kind regards.
73 & 55
Thomas
Rüm hart – klaar kiming

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 1311 UTC »
1240 Red Thunder calling First Sealord several times with nothing heard.
1243 Sealord answers.  Red Thunder acknowledges and out.

The frequency doesn't match up with any of the MARS nets I've heard, and both Red Thunder (male) and First Sealord (female) sounded much younger than the typical MARS op, so I assume it's active or reserve military.

Nice catch re: US Navy voice net on 4028 kHz USB.  My first guess would have been MARS given the frequency used. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 1702 UTC »
MARS gets their freqs from the military so they can and do pop up there and elsewhere. A few years back a young lady in USAF moved traffic from HFGCS to a 80m HAM freq one evening and was rewarded with multiple HAM contacts informing her of where she was, she didn't care and went right on using the freq.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 1821 UTC »
That's awesome, Josh.  Seems like 80m/75m is popular all over the world for non-ham stuff (military, fishing fleets, broadcasting, etc).  Doesn't the military technically have the right to use any frequency they need to use on a secondary (or primary) basis per NTIA rules?  I know they can (and do) use frequencies in the 6 meter band as part of the SINCGARS VHF FM tactical/combat net radio system. 

As far as HF goes, having the ability to transmit inside the ham bands has some obvious advantages in a serious emergency situation. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 0313 UTC »
US mil can use any freq they want to more or less. If they want to operate in the HAM bands they can and do, and HAMs have to step aside. A naoc might not have df gear aboard that can pinpoint a HAM or other interferer, but they have a hotline to fcc who can and will pinpoint that signal for them, and take care of the rest.