We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Inexpensive VNA  (Read 8118 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Inexpensive VNA
« on: August 13, 2019, 1717 UTC »
Reviews of the NanoVNA: An Ultra Low Cost $50 Vector Network Analyzer

A vector network analyzer (VNA) is an instrument that can be used to measure antenna or coax parameters such as SWR, impedance and loss. It can also be used to characterize and tune filters. It is a very useful tool to have if you are building and tuning home made antennas, filters or other RF circuits. For example if you are building a QFH or ADS-B antenna to use with an RTL-SDR, a VNA can help ensure that your antenna is properly tuned to the correct frequency. Compared to a standard SWR or network analyzer a VNA supplies you with phase information as well.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/reviews-of-the-nanovna-an-ultra-low-cost-50-vector-network-analyzer/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inexpensive VNA
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 1541 UTC »
Thanks for that.
I've ordered one, at 45 Euros inc post it would be rude not to  :)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 1855 UTC »
I want one, and I'm not often intrigued by such items.

:D

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 0028 UTC »
I think I'll get me one when I can run it on a Linux PC. Not too long I hope.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 2001 UTC »
Calculating Coax Length by using a NanoVNA as a Time-Domain Reflectometer
Earlier in the month we posted about the NanoVNA, an open source VNA project by @edy555 and ttrftech that has recently become extremely affordable at US$50 for a fully assembled unit thanks to Chinese manufacturing.

The NanoVNA comes with preinstalled software for it's LCD GUI, as well as a Windows program. However, the software is currently basic and doesn't implement everything possible with a VNA. Over on his blog, nuclearrambo has put up a post showing how to use the NanoVNA as a Time-domain reflectometer (TDR). A TDR allows you to measure coax cable length, and that can be useful for finding exactly where a suspected cable or connector fault is.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/calculating-coax-length-by-using-a-nanovna-as-a-time-domain-reflectometer/

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 1943 UTC »
I received mine last Monday, just short of a month since ordering.
First impressions are good.
Checked it on an FM dipole which I believe is tuned to 91.6 Mhz. It returned a min reflected power on 91.4 but I will forgive it as the aerial is only about 8 feet up and the coax is dangling under it so may be throwing if off a bit. It may not have been calibrated to the band when I checked it also.
On one of my HF, aerials, it gave me a reading of 1:1 just off my operating frequency. The aerial is good for +/- 200 Khz (about 1.5:1 at the extremes) so happy with that. Z= 48.5 Ohm Zs.

Measured a new inverted MW antenna I just put up. Lovely curve on 1430 Khz. Z=40 Ohms without the atu so matching it should be easy enough.

I've measured several filters I have here, both homemade and factory built with interesting results.  I think this could be an invaluable tool for building filters.

The build quality is OK. Pity it's not a in an enclosure.
Spent most of the morning I got it making up SMA patch cables.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 1736 UTC »
The vna I linked to appears to be in an enclosure as far as images go, what vna did you order?

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 0958 UTC »
There is this case for those who have access to a 3D printer to make it:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3673624

The creator of this case notes there are at least two manufacturers of the nanoVNA with minor variations in the mechanical construction of the VNA.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 1709 UTC »
The vna I linked to appears to be in an enclosure as far as images go, what vna did you order?

That's the one I ordered.
There's a top and bottom "cover" but the sides are open. It's not a big deal.

To take the stress off the SMA connectors, I've mounted it in a very small flight case with 2 "N" type sockets mounted on the side of the case. All connections will be made via the "N"s now.

There's a bigger version available now. Larger screen and I think it goes to 1.2 Ghz.  About 3x the cost though.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 1817 UTC »
I see, thanks for the response.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 1728 UTC »
NanoVNASaver Software Walkthrough + NanoVNA Firmware Updates Bring 1.5 GHz Max Range

The NanoVNA is an open source VNA project by @edy555 and ttrftech that has recently become extremely affordable at less than US$50 for a fully assembled unit thanks to Chinese manufacturing (or a little more if you order it via Amazon).

Ohan Smit had recently been playing with the NanoVNA and came across a software package from Rune B. Broberg (5Q5R) called NanoVNASaver. NanoVNASaver is an open source program that can be used to read and plot data from the NanoVNA. It has some nice features like the ability to display multiple charts, increase the resolution up to 10k points, measure cable length via TDR calculations, save Touchstone files and more.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/nanovnasaver-software-walkthrough-nanovna-firmware-updates-bring-1-5-ghz-max-range/

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 1822 UTC »
A NanoVNA 2.0 is in the Works: Same Price, Frequency Range up to 3.5 GHz, Higher Dynamic Range
Previously we've been posting about the NanoVNA which is an open source VNA project by @edy555 / ttrftech that has recently become extremely affordable at less than US$50 for a fully assembled unit thanks to Chinese manufacturing (or a little more if you order it via Amazon).

Over on the NanoVNA groups.io forums we've seen discussion about a NanoVNA hardware version 2.0 being in the works and it could be ready as soon as January 2020.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-nanovna-2-0-is-in-the-works-same-price-frequency-range-up-to-3-5-ghz-higher-dynamic-range/

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 1219 UTC »
I love the one I bought so much I bought another 2. Arrived today  :).  One is a gift for a friend who has given me some very useful gear over the years.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 1901 UTC »
This is one of the best gifts for a HAM or swler ever, and just in time for xmas hint hint.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 1947 UTC »
A Simple Step by Step Guide to Updating the NanoVNA Firmware
Thank you to RJ Juneau (ylabrj / VA3YLB) for sharing with us his NanoVNA firmware update guide for idiots. NanoVNA firmware is updated fairly often, so this is a good reference guide for those who want to test the latest code as updating the firmware is a multi-step process.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/a-simple-step-by-step-guide-to-updating-the-nanovna-firmware/

NanoVNA Version 2.0 First PCB Pictures Released + NanoVNA Naming & Credit Clarifications
Back in October 2019 we posted about the upcoming NanoVNA version 2.0 which back then was still being designed with a predicted release date of January 2020. Recently some photos of the NanoVNA 2.0 prototype have been uploaded to the NanoVNA groups.io forum.
The NanoVNA 2.0 is expected to retail at around US$60 which is around the same price as the current NanoVNA. The current NanoVNA is limited in that it can only measure from 50 kHz to 900 MHz, with performance being reduced above 300 MHz. It can be extended to 1.5 GHz, but with severely reduced performance. The NanoVNA 2.0 will be able to measure from 50 kHz to 3 GHz, and possibly up to 3.5 GHz. Version 2.0 will also have improved dynamic range.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/nanovna-version-2-0-first-pcb-pictures-released-nanovna-naming-credit-clarifications/