We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Isolator Frequency Range  (Read 2461 times)

bandarr3000

Isolator Frequency Range
« on: August 16, 2019, 2005 UTC »
OK, stupid question time. If I have an 1.8-30MHz isolator on my multiband antenna (80m-6m), should I still be able to transmit 6m?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 2009 UTC by bandarr3000 »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Isolator Frequency Range
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 2138 UTC »
If you're talking about a line isolator and not a lowpass filter, yes. If you had a lowpass filter with a cutoff above 6m yes in that case too. If you had a lowpass filter below 6m cutoff obviously no.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

bandarr3000

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 0332 UTC »
If you're talking about a line isolator and not a lowpass filter, yes. If you had a lowpass filter with a cutoff above 6m yes in that case too. If you had a lowpass filter below 6m cutoff obviously no.

Thank you!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 1714 UTC »
More to the point, isolators simply choke off the rf flowing on the outside of the coax and have no effect on whatever rf is flowing inside that coax. Isolators are also often frequency dependent insofar as their maximum effectiveness goes.
Some that work spectacularly at hf fail at vhf and above, those mixed for best response at vhf and above are seldom useful at hf. I've mixed isolator ferrites for a broader response, for example, using 43 mix as well as type 6 and/or type 4.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 1717 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns