We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: IRCs Maligned  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
IRCs Maligned
« on: August 18, 2019, 0904 UTC »
There's one free radio station that broadcasts to Europe and beyond that claims to have an  "excellent hard copy QSL' available to listeners who submit reception reports by snail mail to a Dutch postal address.

However, said station claims on air on HF that it does not wish listeners seeking  their 'excellent A5 hard QSLs' to send IRCs as they are 'difficult to exchange'
Said station is asking listeners after its hard copy QSLs to send US dollars instead of IRCs by snail mail as payment.

However, is it not ILLEGAL to send hard cash in the snail mail system? Note that the country in which a listener is resident could discover this 'illegal act'  when the letter is firstly processed by said country's mail security scanners, if any. And then there's the Dutch end who might well do likewise. 

I think that that station's operator is clever enough to identify easily which countries belong to the IPU, as well as those that don't. I also think that those countries that aren't in the IPU will have no IRCs to issue; by contrast, IPU member countries will have IRCs for issuance.

That station needs to get a grip - after all, this ain't rocket science, and actually nowhere near it - not good to steer listeners in the direction of breakung the law. >:(

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 0910 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: IRCs Maligned
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 0915 UTC »
Currently seeing no more one dollar bills than three dollar bills...
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 0932 UTC »
Jock, you should check your facts before starting to try make trouble.
It is NOT illegal to send cash in the post.

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 1025 UTC »
Lots of Ham radio operators also ask for USD for QSL cards citing the same problems with IRCs.

Mods: not a 'loggings' post - can we move to 'General Discussion' please?
QTH: S.E. UK

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 1114 UTC »

It is illegal where I am.

Postal orders are another option, btw.

In Blighty, gov depts state that cash sent by snail mail won't be returned.

I think it wouldn't be difficult for the list of IPU countries to be put on that station's website. Then listeners in those countries needn't send US dollars.

The op in Holland would then be able to exchange IRCs for Dutch postage stamps at a Dutch post office.

Brian, I'm making a point, not making trouble.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 1120 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 1135 UTC »

It is illegal where I am.

Postal orders are another option, btw.

In Blighty, gov depts state that cash sent by snail mail won't be returned.

I think it wouldn't be difficult for the list of IPU countries to be put on that station's website. Then listeners in those countries needn't send US dollars.

The op in Holland would then be able to exchange IRCs for Dutch postage stamps at a Dutch post office.

Brian, I'm making a point, not making trouble.

You are making trouble. Quote "That station needs to get a grip - after all, this ain't rocket science, and actually nowhere near it - not good to steer listeners in the direction of breakung the law. >:("

Laws differ all throughout the world. To suggest that the op is asking people to break the law  just because it is illegal in China is nonsense. It's up to people to check the laws where they live.
The station has no obligation to accept IRCs if they wish not to. They have their reasons. If's that's a problem for you, then so be it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 1233 UTC by Brian »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 1230 UTC »
As others have noted, in most countries it's not illegal to send cash in the mail.

You cannot even buy IRCs any more in the USA: The United States Postal Service stopped selling international reply coupons on January 27, 2013.

I think this discussion is nearing its conclusion.  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 1451 UTC »
@Chris

https://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/five-questions-about-sending-cash-abroad-6275143.html

Can I send money abroad?

In most cases, there is nothing to stop you putting money in an envelope and sending it overseas. This is the most risky way to send cash abroad. In 42 countries, including Norway, India and Poland, it is illegal to send cash in an envelope. These are listed on the Royal Mail website.

It's noteworthy that Norway and Poland are two of the 42 above.

Wikipedia is blocked here. So it's impossible for me to get detailed info about IRCs.

@Brian

You are making trouble. Quote "That station needs to get a grip - after all, this ain't rocket science, and actually nowhere near it - not good to steer listeners in the direction of breakung the law. >:("

Laws differ all throughout the world. To suggest that the op is asking people to break the law  just because it is illegal in China is nonsense. It's up to people to check the laws where they live.
The station has no obligation to accept IRCs if they wish not to. They have their reasons. If's that's a problem for you, then so be it.

Yep, Brian:

to steer listeners in the direction of breaking the law, which I had said, does not mean asking people to break the law. Let's be precise, shall we?

Of course, I accept what you say about laws differing, obligations and reasons. Who wouldn't!

That stations 'reasons' aren't a problem for me, it is so for me.

I think you are the one making trouble. So, I suggest we agree to differ.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 1513 UTC »
In most cases, there is nothing to stop you putting money in an envelope and sending it overseas. This is the most risky way to send cash abroad. In 42 countries, including Norway, India and Poland, it is illegal to send cash in an envelope. These are listed on the Royal Mail website.

It's noteworthy that Norway and Poland are two of the 42 above.

Let me cut to the chase here. You're concerned about whether or not it is legal to send money in the mail to a pirate radio station?   :P
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 1657 UTC »
to steer listeners in the direction of breaking the law, which I had said, does not mean asking people to break the law. Let's be precise, shall we?

Hi Jock. Unintentionally expanding upon what Chris wrote, I'm going to be argumentative - just for some Sunday entertainment here - and note the irony that you are worried about a radio broadcaster that is breaking the law just by its mode of operation advocating for listeners to to break the law by sending some cash in the post. I realize that the scale of the crimes are somewhat different as is who performs them, but I couldn't let that pass.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 1704 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline olddxer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 0512 UTC »
Chris's point is well taken with a LOL!
Of course back in the day there were several services that could provide postage stamps for just about every country in the world to the DXer. I beleave that they all have shut down now.
Anan 8000DLE, Drake R8B, NRD-515, Perseus SDR, a bunch of Hammarlunds, Inverted V multiband dipole

Merohde@columbus.rr.com

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 0951 UTC »

You cannot even buy IRCs any more in the USA: The United States Postal Service stopped selling international reply coupons on January 27, 2013.

I was wondering how long those had been gone.  Actually presumed it was longer than that...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums