We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Looking for AM broadcast monitor/processor  (Read 11130 times)

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
Looking for AM broadcast monitor/processor
« on: August 21, 2019, 2017 UTC »
Hi,

I am in need of an AM broadcast monitor/receiver. It does not necessarily need to be a professional unit you would find in a radio station studio. I just need a high quality AM receiver with flat response up to 10 KHZ. More would be nice, but not necessary.

A real broadcast monitor with % modulation would be nice, but I am only wanting to pay a couple hundred or less.

I am also interested in an AM broadcast processor. I already found something that pretty much fits the bill, but if any of you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.
Radio and Programming Blog: http://dosaidsoft.com/wp/

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for AM broadcast monitor/processor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 0205 UTC »
Are you looking for something tunable only, or wideband?  As far as monitor are concerned, the analog Belars are OK, (AMM-1, -2, -3), and are good to 30 MHz.  The AM wizard was probably the best one they made (AMMA-1), also good to 30 MHz.  The Inovonics ones are AM band only, usually only to 1710 KHz, models 520, and 525 were adequate.  TFT made some wideband ones as well, but documentation is spotty and with the company gone now, if you need a book, your on your own.  Older Harris monitors were cool, I like the AM-90 the best.  It had a cool plasma display.

The Belars pop up on ebay from time to time, and at hamfests.  Be prepared to do some rework on them.

If you want to go analog processing, CRL's are fairly common.  I have two Amigo AM's as backup units to my stereo tool setup.  The inovonics processors weren't that bad, although the clippers in them were not filtered, so you can't really push them that hard before they get grungy.  The CRL's are the same way.  Top shelf is probably the 9100A (B was the stereo version with the right cards), although most of them are over 30 years old and will need some love.  They can be a devil to get running again as some of the VCA's you cant get anymore.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 2041 UTC »
For a couple hundred you can get an HP 8901 Modulation Analyzer on Ebay   It has audio output and is good to 1Ghz  will do all that you want and more  Can set display for peak hold as well.   I run the CRL AM 4 Mono system  Great System but can get grungy fast especially with low bit rate MP3  If your handy there is a Texar Eagle on Ebay that will do a good job of processing your sound

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 0932 UTC »
For a couple hundred you can get an HP 8901 Modulation Analyzer on Ebay   It has audio output and is good to 1Ghz  will do all that you want and more  Can set display for peak hold as well.   I run the CRL AM 4 Mono system  Great System but can get grungy fast especially with low bit rate MP3  If your handy there is a Texar Eagle on Ebay that will do a good job of processing your sound

tAC

Excellent. That's what I'm looking for, thanks!

Those professional broadcast monitors like the Belar and Innovonics are a bit too expensive even when used.

Offline OgreVorbis

• View Profile
    • DosaidSoft
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 0447 UTC »
If anyone's curious, I eventually went with a AMM-SD1: http://www.radioassociates.com/

This site showed up several times after my search queries, but I ignored it because the name "Radio Engineering Associates" sounds like some type of law firm.
It works well and the price is right.