We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Strong sidebands :-(.  (Read 1916 times)

Offline SorensenDK

• Hillerod Denmark
    • View Profile
    • A legal radio station on 5825 kHz. short wave
    • Email
Strong sidebands :-(.
« on: August 26, 2019, 0829 UTC »
It's very sad that the 'Dutch polka pirates' can't find other frequencies than close to us with strong sidebands. They can go to a frequency wherever they want, we can't.

Best 73 Jan, Radio OZ-Viola on 5825 kHz.  :'(.
Radio OZ-Viola is a legal low power hobby AM radio station from Denmark on 5825 kHz. More info on http://ozviola.dk/ :-)..

Offline Harmony

• NW Europe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Strong sidebands :-(.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 0952 UTC »
Agreed, the pirates should respect the licensed stations.

Particularly the small ones like yours.

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 1157 UTC »
Agreed, the pirates should respect the licensed stations.

Particularly the small ones like yours.

Thanks for your input, Radio Harmony.

Yep, Harmony and Oz-Viola are responsible broadcasters sideband-wise; that said, the former is an unlicensed operator whereas the latter is a legal broadcaster.

Pity the 'Dutch polka pirates' haven't followed suit regarding the reduction of their excessively wide sidebands; actually, program-wise, the only one I currently listen to regularly is KR1; I like Bart's style and sense of humor as well as most of the non-Dutch music he plays.

Yet I think it might be a good idea for them ALL to change bands to 'Echo-Charlie'. However, y'all might well disagree with my suggestion.

Anyways, each to their own.

Hi SorensenDK,

I'm eager to know if you have modified your antenna recently.

I know you were planning to change it from a vertical quarter wave set-up to a modified half-wave dipole with two legs of unequal length, in order to compensate for the lack of horizontal space at your TX site. I'm sure that that particular radical change will improve your signal substantially.

There's a bloke on Garry Stevens' Pirate/Free Radio Board with moniker 'The Old Git' who has recently started a thread about military half wave dipoles used back in the day by mobile radio operators transmitting with low power in the field with the objective of achieving long-distance communication on the HF bands. Said thread may be of interest to you.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 1258 UTC by Jock Wilson »

Offline SorensenDK

• Hillerod Denmark
    • View Profile
    • A legal radio station on 5825 kHz. short wave
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 1643 UTC »
Hi Jock  :).

We still use our vertical antenna and a horizontal can only come to work until the fall at the earliest, because the setup must be approved at a meeting with the housing company where we live.
So we hope for the best, as a horizontal antenna might be better for ionosphere reflected signals  :).
Radio OZ-Viola is a legal low power hobby AM radio station from Denmark on 5825 kHz. More info on http://ozviola.dk/ :-)..