We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TS-870 morse error message  (Read 6284 times)

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
TS-870 morse error message
« on: December 15, 2011, 1348 UTC »
 >:(
TS870 error message "UL"

Turned on the 870 when it was cold (for Florida) perhaps 62 degrees F and the rig started to send the two letters "UL" in Morse
    After several powered up minutes the rig works fine without the message appearing in Morse.

My guess is that this error code may mean the PLL is Un Locked.
    If this is true does the service manual alignment procedure affecting the PLL section possibly fix this problem?

Also, I have never changed out the back-up battery.
    Is there any connection between the possibility of a low voltage battery and this error code?

Any suggestions and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline textim

• Raleigh, NC
  • Hello? *tap tap* Is this thing on?
    • View Profile
Re: TS-870 morse error message
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 0041 UTC »
I had a similar problem with my TS-60.  The "UL" code does indeed indicate PLL unlock.  The fix required the replacement of several trimmer caps that had gone bad.  I don't think a dead memory battery will cause this problem, but I'm not an expert.

I don't know if there's a Yahoo group for your particular radio, but I have found the groups for the TS-50/60 and the TS-440S to be very informative as far as helping to diagnose and fix problems with those rigs.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 0046 UTC by textim »
Raleigh, NC

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 0221 UTC »
Trimmer caps going bad? :o

What kind of cheap garbage are they?

Peace!

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 1544 UTC »
Yes, unfortunately many early receivers including yaesu, kenwood and icom included "cheap" trimmer caps.
One of the best older receivers around the Icom R71A (which I had one) had many problems with cheap caps.
These are the so called close plate kind (like plastic etc) which in some cases developed leakage across the (+) and (-) "plates".

One common R71A fix often meant several rotations of the caps associated with the PLL circuitry (to clear corrosion) and a PLL re-alignment. I did mine once and the fix was relatively easy. With the TS870 I'm yet to get into its inner sanctum. I have left it on to keep the temperature up and so far it continues to work in a normal manner. Also I was given advice that the connectors associated with the PLL circuit to develop corrosion and that also seems to be an occasional fix for the TS870. I'd hate for the 870 to go dead as it is a great receiver!!! A new PLL IC costs nearly 30 bucks and it requires surface mount technology and skill to replace.  GROOOAAANNNN!!! :o

Yep cheap caps!!  >:(  >:(  >:( etc etc

Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!