We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC petitioned to open up 45 to 50 MHz for DRM+ broadcasts in the USA  (Read 12295 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
WRNJ Radio co-owner Larry Tighe has now filed a petition for rulemaking with the FCC, asking that the 45 MHz to 50 MHz band on the VHF spectrum be reallocated for DRM+ transmissions.

In a statement, Tighe said... “The 45–50 MHz band was allocated to two-way radio users in business and government, who have since migrated to higher bandwidths where they can use handsets with smaller antennas. As a result, this spectrum is extremely quiet right now. WRNJ monitored this bandwidth for an extended period of time, and heard very few distant signals.”

“There were 660 TV stations between Channels 2 and 7 before the transition to UHF for HDTV. There are now only approximately 60 TV stations in the USA on those old VHF channels. There is plenty of spectrum to share with a new service, i.e., DRM+ or any modulation, if the FCC really wanted to move AMs.”

https://ei7gl.blogspot.com/2019/08/fcc-petitioned-to-open-up-45-to-50-mhz.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
That spectrum (25mHz to 80mHz inclusive) is occupied by US military and they will not want to see it smothered in drm sigs.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
As well as a lot of power utilities and more. There are areas where low band is still required and higher freqs just don't cover the desired area despite the use of repeaters. Might be quiet in their area but around here there are still many users.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
I know India is changing its MW stations to DRM. But they promote and sell Indian-made radios to receive it.

As for the actual petition, it seems the petitioner is only asking for former TV channels to be open for DRM. If the FCC approves, I'd say have at it. The biggest problem would be listeners. Who has a DRM capable radio in their house? And there aren't many of them available online.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
You may wind up with the FMeXtra thing all over again.  DRM+ receivers are available, but not in those frequencies ranges.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
I think DRM has missed the boat. Pity as I think it had potential but the receivers were poor and too expensive.
About 16 years ago, I converted my MW transmitter for DRM using DReaM software with some success but nobody could hear it  except me, and only with a doctored radio and a PC.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Even with its roots in STANAG4285, DRM is no weak signal mode.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Amazing... What's old is new again. Wasn't that 45MHz - 50MHz FREQ range where they've tried FM broadcasting 1st, before deciding on 88MHz - 108MHz, due to "E" and intense F2 propagations? BTW, when I worked for a natural gas company, they heavily relied on 48MHz two-way 100W rigs to talk in the middle of no where, where 800MHz cell phones could not even touch. Especially in North Central Pennsyl-tucky. (Not Pennsylvania. If you've been there, then y'all know what I mean.) Is the Federal Corporate Coddlers giving them the boot? I understand that Mexico is trying DRM in the 11M Broadcast Band. Plenty of unused spectrum there, even if F2 and "E" is more prevalent. I understand that DRM works better than that bandwidth hoggin' Ibiquity HD Radio.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Wasn't that 45MHz - 50MHz FREQ range where they've tried FM broadcasting 1st, before deciding on 88MHz - 108MHz, due to "E" and intense F2 propagations?

The late 40's Zenith console radio in my living room has the 42-49 MHz FM broadcast band (along with 88-108). Also have a tabletop tube radio from the same timeframe that has the two bands as well.

How does DRM+ handle skip? However, with the predictions for the upcoming solar cycles, that may not matter for quite a while.

Still have my 49 MHz walkie talkies.

There is plenty of spectrum to share with a new service, i.e., DRM+ or any modulation, if the FCC really wanted to move AMs.”

45-49 MHz using C-QUAM.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 1840 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
The change of fm bands was also about ruining a man.

Seeking to kill FM radio before it could threaten his profits, Sarnoff’s company successfully lobbied the FCC to have the FM spectrum moved from Armstrong’s frequencies to the ones we use today: 88 to 108 MHz. That move, which occurred on 27 June 1945, immediately rendered Armstrong’s Yankee Network obsolete, along with all of the FM radio sets which had been produced. The cost to re-equip the stations for the new frequencies would be enormous. The FCC ruling said that the 40 MHz band was to be used for the new television broadcasts, in which RCA had a heavy stake. RCA also had an ally in AT&T, which actively supported the frequency move because the loss of FM relaying stations forced the Yankee Network stations to buy wired links from AT&T. The deck was stacked against the future of FM broadcasting.
https://www.damninteresting.com/the-tragic-birth-of-fm-radio/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 1839 UTC by Josh »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns