We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Inverted sloper?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Inverted sloper?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 0930 UTC »
Get something along a reel of parachute cord or braided fishing net line to support it in the tree. Both are easy to handle and easy to cut after you've tied it securely off.

How do you get the cord or line over the branch? It's simple for a Walmart man like yourself. Wander over to sporting goods, pick up a cheap reliable Zebco 202 baitcast reel, several one to two oz. sinkers, you're going to need them before you get the hang of it, and a good old Wrist-Rocket elastic tubing slingshot. Buy extra mono line for the reel, I like a 20-30 lb. test.

Sound simple? It's not. That first time might take you two to three hours to get the mono over a branch in tree near the one you had in mind. Learning how to launch the weight accurately and pull back on the sling to get the weight up where you want is the real trick. It's very tempting to overpull and end up with the weight in the next county. BTW, push the button on the reel to the cast position unless you want a real mess on your hands.

When you get the weight and mono over the branch, that end should fall to the ground on it's own or a little coaxing. Tie your parachute/net cord securely to the mono above the weight. Cut the weight away and start reeling the cord over the branch back to reel. Attach the cord to the end you want to go up. Start hauling it up until it's as high you want it and tie it off to the tree, cutting the surplus away. You take the surplus cord, tie it to the other end of antenna, point it in the preferred direction and tie it to something secure like another tree.

That's it, you'll have much higher blood pressure, but if you're lucky you won't have to do it again for years. Think of the poor mobile pirates who go through that crap every couple of weeks, put together shows in between, and are pestered by dx'ers for QSL's for years. It's a thankless existence.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Inverted sloper?
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 1039 UTC »
Pigmeat's approach is spot on. I have an EZ Hang I picked up about 20+ years ago at a hamfest, I think when the guy first started selling them. It does take a bit of practice to get the hang of things, and often several tries each time, but it works quite well.

I'm eager to try Stretchyman's drone approach, perhaps I can rope one of the kids into doing some test runs.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns