We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Scientist suggests 'eating human meat' to tackle climate change  (Read 4513 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
In the 1973 dystopian film Soylent Green, the world is so overpopulated that dead bodies are sold as food.

But Swedish researcher Magnus Söderlund believes this could be a genuine solution to climate change and asserts we must "awaken the idea" of eating human flesh in the future.

He suggests people's aversion to it could be overcome little by little, beginning with people just tasting it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Scientist suggests 'eating human meat' to tackle climate change
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 1844 UTC »
I think most of those who practiced such a diet, according to the historical record, end up being hunted down and eradicated by those who do not practice such a diet.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 2107 UTC »
On November 28, 1994, Jeffrey Dahmer was beaten to death by Christopher Scarver, a fellow inmate at the Columbia Correctional Institution.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 2227 UTC »
On November 28, 1994, Jeffrey Dahmer was beaten to death by Christopher Scarver, a fellow inmate at the Columbia Correctional Institution.

There are downsides to all these fad diets.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 1830 UTC »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Corpses of family members were often buried for days, then exhumed once the corpses were infested with maggots, at which point the corpse would be dismembered and served with the maggots as a side dish.

:o :o :o :o :o
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 1940 UTC »
Perhaps this thread belongs in the "Bacon, BBQ, Beef, And More" section.

Corpses of family members were often buried for days, then exhumed once the corpses were infested with maggots, at which point the corpse would be dismembered and served with the maggots as a side dish.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 2252 UTC »

Maggots are good fish bait. Do you think they were using Uncle Pete to raise a good crop of bait, then putting Pete in the smoker for something to snack on during the fishing trip?

Anthropologists and missionaries are always getting things ass backwards. Look at how Margaret Meade got fooled by a bunch of teenage girls in Samoa. Teenage girls are nothing but liars and gossips. Haven't anthropologist's ever heard of Occam's Razor?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 2123 UTC »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 0417 UTC »

Exactly the first thing I thought of. Well, actually the first thing was trying to find a good "human cattle" image to share, but Google disappointed me there. That was before I clicked on the link to this post, having seen only the header. But when I saw it was dead bodies, BINGO! I read a very good book with an unfortunate title, Deadly Feasts by Richard Rhodes, back in the 90s about that. I'd like to know what they've found about vCJD (the disease caused in humans who ate the meat of a mad cow) since at the time there was speculation that the incubation period was 20-50 years, as was thought to be the case with kuru. (Apparently that's been challenged because it rested on the assumption that cannibalism in Papua New Guinea actually ceased when it was banned in the 1950's. Ritual practices don't usually go away because of a government decree.)
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 0419 UTC »

That should be served with some of this on the side. FAIR WARNING - do not read this if you have just eaten, or are about to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 1120 UTC »
In the part of the country I'm from, squirrel hunting is very common. It's also traditional for women to eat cooked squirrel brains in scrambled eggs as delicacy. Squirrel brains are major vector for CJD. It tends to show up 30-50 years after consumption. My great-Aunt by marriage died from CJD as have many women I knew

It seems to be a real crapshoot, something along the lines of squirrel roulette. Women the region continue eat squirrel brains as traditional practice and most never get CJD. My Mom and Grandma tried to force the squirrel brains scramble on me, "But it's full of vitamins." I would wriggle loose and run out the door, safe once again.

Grandpa gave me some sage advice, "Don't eat that crap, boy." Besides we usually cut the heads off with wire cutters, not enough meat to fool with.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 2303 UTC »

That should be served with some of this on the side. FAIR WARNING - do not read this if you have just eaten, or are about to eat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Yup. Not hungry now. I don't think that my hunger will return for a few days....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 2305 UTC by KaySeeks »
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 0243 UTC »
Weak stomached sissies, eh?

I had two good friends in college who were boy soldiers on the Biafran side in the Biafran War. When food got short they ate their enemies. They told me the best part was the hands.

Japanese soldiers in WWII were expected to live off the land. The same thing happened, they ate the locals and Allied prisoners. And they whine about having a couple of minor A-Bombs dropped on them, the heathen, uncivilized cannibals. Revive the Inquisition and give them a simple choice: Convert or die!

I'm sure they ate my Cousin Boone after they killed him. If they think this matter is settled, they better think again. Do you and Joyce have those missiles locked and loaded for Tokyo, Mr. Fansome?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 0145 UTC »
BTW, in New Guinea they call human meat, "long pig" due to the similarity in taste. When I found that out at the age of twelve, I couldn't eat ham for months.

I hope the people of New Guinea had fun with those Japanese soldiers before turning them into jerky. Bon Appetit, to our fine tribal Allies and Coast Watchers.

Now I'm wondering what Micheal Rockefeller tasted like after that long smoking on the Asmat Coast? Start a bunch of tribal wars over "primitive art" and reap the rewards, Mike.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns