We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Test Equipment for First Time Build  (Read 4761 times)

Offline ButchKidd

• Southeastern US
    • View Profile
Test Equipment for First Time Build
« on: September 09, 2019, 1903 UTC »
TLDR: What hobby-level test equipment would you recommend for a first build project, a 100mW medium wave AM transmitter?

Up until now, I’ve just been a user of radios, but never understood at a fundamental level how the parts worked together.  I’ve built crystal receiver kits and arduino-powered robots with the kids, but always following someone else’s instructions.  At present, my troubleshooting ability is mostly limited to making sure I followed directions or a schematic correctly and checking for bad connections/solder joints.  I look at RF circuits with a DC short, and it blows my mind that it works.  But, I’m working on correcting that.

I figure there’s only so much I can learn from reading forum posts and watching YouTube videos.  I want to build something, if not from scratch, then at least with an understanding of why the designer chose the components he did.  My plan is to build several iterations, starting with something super-simple, like using an op-amp to generate a carrier, and modulate it directly with a line-level audio source.  Then I’d like to improve the design step-by-step to get better quality audio, low-pass filtering, and a usable range with a matched antenna.

Aside from the actual components and tools to assemble them, what am I going to need for this journey?  I’ve got a breadboard, soldering station, multi-meter, etc. as well as the “end user” stuff like a dummy load and SWR meter, but I don’t expect to need those until much later.  I’ve been thinking of getting an old analog oscilloscope on eBay or Craigslist since they seem to be available around $50 if you’re patient.  I guess at some point I’ll need to prototype a PCB or order it from China.  Can some of you more experienced guys tell me if there’s something important that I’m missing here?

I realize I’m probably not really giving enough information to get a good answer, but I’d at least like to get some ideas on what to start thinking about from those who have done it before.
eQSL appreciated at x100rocks@gmail.com
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Yaesu FT-857D and FT-450D, Whistler TRX2
130 ft OCF, 130 ft inverted L, 11m ground plane

Offline RST111

• 30 miles east of Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
Re: Test Equipment for First Time Build
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 0528 UTC »
Thanks for asking this Butch! I'm interested in the answers as well.  I've been wanting to mess around with the same stuff and am kind of lost as to where to start equipment wise.

Pls qsl to rst111@protonmail.com ty!

QTH: 30mi East of Seattle

IC-R75, Afedri SDR, Airspy Discovery, Stridsberg HF Multicoupler, MFJ-1020C, Palomar CMNF-6, 40m dipole @ 100' AGL

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 1117 UTC »
Aside from the actual components and tools to assemble them, what am I going to need for this journey?  I’ve got a breadboard, soldering station, multi-meter, etc. as well as the “end user” stuff like a dummy load and SWR meter, but I don’t expect to need those until much later.  I’ve been thinking of getting an old analog oscilloscope on eBay or Craigslist since they seem to be available around $50 if you’re patient. 

A scope will be invaluable. I'd consider it to really be mandatory, unless you enjoy pulling your hair out.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 1726 UTC »
A scope is mandatory, I'll second that.  Garden variety scope probes are good to about 100W or so.  I've burned out several probes over the years at the 500W level, even though the signal voltage fell within the rating of the probes.

I would also highly recommend a good soldering iron and quality solder.  My main station is a Hakko FX888D and I run Kester 63/37 mild flux solder.  This is the equipment I do rework with as well to pay the bills.  For small one off's I'll spin my own boards in the kitchen using a photo etch process using pre-sensitized boards.

+-RH
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 1745 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 1737 UTC »
A scope is nice but most radio issues can be resolved with a lowly dmm and brains. For beginners, a dmm is about all they can handle, plus mebbe a freq counter. Scopes will help in the more advanced radio adventures, however.

Great news! China is building some scopes that display voltage and freq all in one tidy package, for a sum.
For ensample;
https://www.amazon.com/Rigol-DS1102E-Oscilloscope-Channels-Sampling/dp/B0039N9ZBA/ref=sr_1_6?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInd6PruXG5AIVmNlkCh00VAr2EAAYASAAEgIxSfD_BwE&hvadid=176299913216&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1024403&hvnetw=s&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4678028386373471961&hvtargid=kwd-79622566892&hydadcr=29354_10014455&keywords=rigol+ds1054z+digital+oscilloscope&qid=1568136959&s=gateway&sr=8-6
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 1900 UTC »
I've had a Rigol DS1052E for several years now. It's sitting about 3 ft from me right now, in fact. Great value for the money.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 1937 UTC »
I picked up a MSO2202A last year.  It replaced an old 60 MHz dual channel Tek whose trace had become so dim it was almost impossible to make out.  I do prefer a conventional scope for a lot of things (looking at things in XY mode) but it's hard to beat the portability and price v. feature set.

+-RH

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 0633 UTC »
A good question and being a hobby for over 40 years and a part time business for 10 I hope I'm well placed to answer your question!

A scope is ESSENTIAL, simple as. You can't see radio without one, there's no excuse either as the ones from CH are super cheap.

Get a SIGLENT, RIGOL are similar (same in fact)

The old TEK scopes, they're nice sure, I've had plenty but they're so old now, sure if you can find a good one cheap, get one.

Soldering iron, most are crap and I'm afraid there's only one to get. METCAL.

Get one SH from wherever. At the best part of £800 new you know your buying something that's the best.
I've seen them SH for <£100 so figure $100.
You will not regret this purchase and your soldering skills will improve immediately.
You can solder 0402 and then a PL259 connector outside on a windy day with the same bit!

PCB wise use OSHPARK they're in the US so use them, I'd forget CH for PCB's unless you're making 1000's

Ohh... 2 port VNA's are <£40 now, you may not know what they are but trust me, look up what they can do, you'll be buying one for sure.

Let me know if you want a PCB for an A.M. TX, will save you a lot of time and will transmit somewhat more than 100mW should you prefer.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline ButchKidd

• Southeastern US
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 1257 UTC »
First off, thanks for all the great responses!  This community has been one of the most courtious and inclusive I've ever been a part of.

I'm starting to see the benefits of a DSO, and if I can't find a good analog scope for a song, I'll probably end up buying a Siglent or Rigol.

Thanks for the advice on a better soldering station and specific kinds of solder.  I've currently got a Weller WESD51 which has served me well, though I realize it's not something I'd make my living with.

The Nano VNAs are impressive for the price, even if you only use it as an antenna analyzer, which is about all I know how to do on a VNA right now.

Should I be worried about a function generator or spectrum analyzer?  I'm trying not to get overwhelmed learning about every piece of gear until I know I have a use for it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 1444 UTC »
Some of the Chinese scopes can be privateered into a higher model class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtt-g5putLY
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ButchKidd

• Southeastern US
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 1707 UTC »
From what I’ve read on EEVBlog and reviews on Amazon, the Hantek scopes seem to be coming from the factory “pre-hacked” now.  I’m sure they only guarantee performance for what each model is rated for.  One theory is that they have a tiered Q/A system with the best performing units becoming 200mhz and the worse ones becoming 50-75mhz models.  They all seem to have 200mhz firmware now, but I’m not sure how accurate they are.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 1713 UTC by ButchKidd »

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 0601 UTC »
In the beginning, I wouldn't bother with a spectrum analyzer.  They are easily damaged (done it) and for most of the stuff your interested in will be overkill.  An SDR with sufficient padding will serve you needs fine for now.  A VNA is great for filter tuning and antenna design, I don't leave for a show without one now.

For the beginner, a Weller or Hakko basic station is all you'll need.  The Hakko is probably better for SMD work with the right tips.  I've had Metcal irons in the past and used them professionally as well.  Used, they don't seem to hold up well.  The tips are also very expensive, and second hands ones are of dubious quality.  Hakkos are cheap, and amazon has all the tip choices your likely to need.

A function generator is worth having.  I have the DG1022 from Righol.  It produces beautiful AM waveforms for calibration, which is actually how I calibrate modulation monitors now.  I also use it in the field as my carrier source on the HF transmitter until I get a DDS one built.

+-RH

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 1208 UTC »
Function gen just use ur phone with a sg gen app, fine for audio and as suggested use an SDR for a spec ani. Do keep a look out for cheap second hand kit tho'.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 1849 UTC »
A calibrated radio receiver.
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 0406 UTC »
In the beginning, I wouldn't bother with a spectrum analyzer. 
+-RH
I, begrudgingly, Agree
I lusted after one of those for a long time, I finally got one (an HP8594E) aaand...
I don't really use it anywhere below a few hundred MHz. I use my scope and frequency counter every day.

my recommended top three (after the usual electrinic stuff such as a multimeter, power supply etc) are;
1. oscilloscope (my preference is analog, but any good scope is good and some digital features are really nice)
2. frequency counter (a cheapie is probably sufficient)
3. signal source. (slightly less important for building transmitters, but good luck building or even fixing a receiver without one. of course a cheap analog one is fine if used with the frequency counter. )

hope this helps _
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.