We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SONY CRF V21 shortwave radio  (Read 2080 times)

Matt285

SONY CRF V21 shortwave radio
« on: September 09, 2019, 1932 UTC »
I saw a SONY CRF V21 shortwave radio on Ebay with a buy it now price of $12,000. It looked like the current bidding was over $9,000. I had never seen this receiver before. It has an internal thermal printer to print RTTY and Fax transmissions. If you are lucky enough to have one it was a good investment!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: SONY CRF V21 shortwave radio
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 2107 UTC »
I saw an ad in MT wanteds back in the 90s for these, someone or some org had gotten several from the Saudi embassy I think it was. They wanted like 4k for each back then.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 1958 UTC »
WX satellite delivered analog WEFAX services were discontinued on 12 March 2008
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 1445 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 1422 UTC »
I think these do hf fax too.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 0334 UTC »
A lot of the older Sony stuff commands high prices, even the lower end models. I recently saw a Sony ICF-38 (a very good AM-FM portable, almost as good as a Superadio), which was discontinued two years ago, going for $199 -- new in the box. I got mine about 5 years ago for $24.

The Sony EX5MK2, probably one of the best MW portables made, was discontinued a year and a half ago. They went for $150 new. Now they've sometimes more than doubled in price.

On one of the ham forums there are some threads complaining about used receiver prices... R8's, IC-71's, etc. commanding super high prices, used.

I think I saw an advertisement for the Sony CRF V21 a long time ago. Looked like a very complex radio, especially with the printer. It seems one would have an issue finding paper for the printer nowadays, though.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).