We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VOA Museum To Hold Anniversary Party  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: VOA Museum To Hold Anniversary Party
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 1137 UTC »
Dang! This would have been an easy one go to w/ a little more notice. I've got a ton of relatives in that area. Maybe next year.

Crosley made anything you can imagine up until the mid 60's. Western Auto,which was sort of an auto service store combined with a general hardware store that sold all kinds of stuff. I got my my first shotgun and bicycle at Western Auto. I'm not 100% on this but I think Crosley built and sold washing machines that were sold there?

If you go, take a short side trip east to see the Great Serpent Mound. It's too cool for words.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 1145 UTC »
We had a Western Auto when I was growing up. Looks like they got sold to Sears, who then sold them to Advance Auto Parts.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 1215 UTC »
Chris, we had an annual Labor Day car show. This was the first or second one. To get people out, Western Auto and the town hired a guy with a fire repellent suit to fly over the Western Auto from the empty lot out back with a jet pack. One great miscalculation, when the guy was setting down he melted the blacktop on the main drag through the business district. He didn't have enough juice to relaunch and get back to that empty lot. He had to shed the pack and run for it while the fire dept. dealt with the spinning, fire spewing thing

For a seven year old with nothing in the game, I thought it was the greatest thing I ever saw. The car guys weren't happy and the store owners were ticked, while boys from seven to one hundred and seven howled.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 1701 UTC »
I remember a Western Auto store near where I grew up that had a new Hallicrafters HT40 transmitter for sale.  No other ham gear of any sort for sale - just that transmitter.  I imagine it was a special order for someone who failed to pick it up.