We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PSA: On Ferrites and their Brittleness  (Read 962 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
PSA: On Ferrites and their Brittleness
« on: September 27, 2019, 2219 UTC »
A ferrite is a brittle thing, no give at all.

Unforgiving yet uncomplaining.

Knocked a ac surge arrestor off the desk like I was a cat or summin and ofc it dropped precisely atop a ferrite core that formerly enclosed a coax cable to reduce rfi. Shattered into a million shards. Spose some use can be made of it somehow.

Take care of your ferrites, for they are very sensitive.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: On Ferrites and their Brittleness
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 1005 UTC »
I have read that you can super glue them back together with little loss in performance (if they aren’t in too many pieces).

I wrap the larger cores in a layer of Scotch 69 Glass Cloth electrical tape before I add windings.  It protects the winding insulation from cuts on the sometimes sharp edges of the ferrite and provides a little impact protection.  You can also write the core type on the tape if you ever plan to reuse the core.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: On Ferrites and their Brittleness
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 1757 UTC »
Good ideas. I should cover the ferrite festooned coax with something that will absorb impact.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.