We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best SDR receiver under $75.00?  (Read 1828 times)

Matt285

Best SDR receiver under $75.00?
« on: October 22, 2019, 1605 UTC »
Looking to find a cheap SDR receiver to start with. I have an Icom receiver set up and don't want to invest a lot until I've had a chance to get a feel for it. I did find a RTL-SDR dongle on Amazon that was quite cheap, but I don't know much about it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Best SDR receiver under $75.00?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 1633 UTC »
Looking to find a cheap SDR receiver to start with. I have an Icom receiver set up and don't want to invest a lot until I've had a chance to get a feel for it. I did find a RTL-SDR dongle on Amazon that was quite cheap, but I don't know much about it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Defined

No No No No No No No.

No.

8 bits of resolution, no filtering, horrible hacks to make it work on HF, or playing around with external unconverters and filters. By the time you have done that, throwing all sorts of good money after bad, you could have bought a functional SDR for HF. Now, the RTL dongles are useful on VHF/UHF, where they represent good value for the money. But not on HF.

You will be sadly disappointed. Do not get an RTL Dongle for use on HF. Just say no.  ;D

Your entry point for a low cost usable on HF SDR is the SDRPlay RSP1A. Looks to cost $109. Also works on VHF/UHF.

Next step is $169 for the SDRPlay RSP2 or AirSpyHF+ Discovery. RSP2 is like the RSP1A but has several antenna inputs. The AirSpyHF+ Discovery has one antenna port, and is HF as well as some segments of VHF, including the FM band.

There's lots more SDRs above these price points of course, but these are your entry level models. At $359 for example you have the AFE822x which has two inputs and is awesome for MW DX because you can use it as a phaser. It is also my go-to receiver for Europirates on 48 meters.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 1636 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 1752 UTC »
I wholeheartedly agree!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 1824 UTC »
Thanks for the advice. Yes the SDRPlay RSP1A looks like the best route.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 1837 UTC »
If price is the determiner, a used RSP (or other) will be way ahead of a RTL on hf. On v/uhf the RTL will do fine as that's its natural environment and has a tracking input filter in that range to help with the limited 8bit adc. Not long ago there were several SDR-IQs on QTH or elsewhere going for $100 or so, these would put the RSP to shame as far as dynamic range goes. If you just wanted a panadaptor for an existing hf rig, the RTL will do just fine as it will sit on the same IF freq forever, the hf rig feeding the RTL has already limited the range of signal strengths the RTL will see so limited dynamic range is inconsequential.

I roll an RSP2 and love it, what used to be a few racks of radios filling up an entire room is now a pocket sized lightweight plastic box, leaving out the requisite pc of course.
Here's a review of the RSP for your perusal;
http://www.udxf.nl/SDRPlay_RSP2_SDR.pdf
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.