We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate DAB multiplexes take to the air in Dublin and Cork  (Read 751 times)

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pirate DAB multiplexes take to the air in Dublin and Cork
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 1152 UTC »
At the speed Frank is rolling out "FreeDAB" (currently also testing in Dundalk and rumour that Sligo is next), it won't be long before he has greater coverage than the legal DAB operated by RTE. And with a greater range of stations.

There has being independent DAB in Ireland on trial basis. DB (Digital Broadcasting) in Dublin, Total Broadcast in the South East and most recently EireDAB in Cork and a test setup from RTE's studios in Dublin. All off air now.

Whilst I'm not sure that the publicity he is getting is going to be good for him, it might spur the BAI to consider licencing independent ops and stop  giving in to the whims of the FM stations.

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pirate DAB multiplexes take to the air in Dublin and Cork
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 0045 UTC »
At the speed Frank is rolling out "FreeDAB" (currently also testing in Dundalk and rumour that Sligo is next), it won't be long before
he has greater coverage than the legal DAB operated by RTE. And with a greater range of stations.

There has being independent DAB in Ireland on trial basis. DB (Digital Broadcasting) in Dublin, Total Broadcast in the South East
and most recently EireDAB in Cork and a test setup from RTE's studios in Dublin. All off air now.

Whilst I'm not sure that the publicity he is getting is going to be good for him, it might spur the BAI to consider licencing independent ops and
stop giving in to the whims of the FM stations.

Thanks for analysing the situation there rather well, Brian.

I agree with what you say about the attitude of the BAI to FM stations.