We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The greatest radio ever, teh Bell Howell 9 band prise  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
The greatest radio ever, teh Bell Howell 9 band prise
« on: September 23, 2019, 2146 UTC »
I spelled teh on purpose.
Yeah here is all the glory of this $1 radio I just bought at the thrift store. It has world band, so... You know how radios are, if it has shortwave you have to buy it because we're suckers.

Well this little goofball of a radio covers medium wave from 530 to 1610kHz or so, talk about a killer for me. I listen to the X band AM mostly. To make things a little more gentle though it does have a barn door IF stage which makes AM listening like listening to FM if you don't mind going out into the deep woods to hear a broadcast far away from your local 50kw. It's easy to modify though to cover up to 1710kHz as I found by a simple adjustment on the 4 gang capacitor variable, but don't expect the readout to be right of course.

FM is even better, it actually performs as good as my breadboard FM radios. It almost has the ability to have selectivity if you hold it just right.

Oh and did I mention shortwave? This has the feature but I think they forgot to enable it. I picked up Havana and oooooh weeeee!

Okay I'm giving this little radio a harsh time. It's cute, performs okay for camping, and for being a radio that was a gift if you purchase other crap prizes on TV then voila. It at least has no birdies and after opening it up and damn near breaking the antenna connection from only removing the cover that is held together by... get this... ONE SCREW, and clips, I adjusted the 455kc oscillator and touched up the 4 screw tuning capacitor for peak. It's on par with dollar store gizmos and well it had shortwave... who will let a cheap radio with shortwave sit around for $1? Gumballs cost that much these days. I say we replace gumballs with shortwave radios!  8)

BTW that arrow pointing to that screw, that is literally the ONLY screw holding the thing together, it's all plastic clips  besides that one real loooong screw lol.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 2155 UTC by Kage »
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: The greatest radio ever, teh Bell Howell 9 band prise
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 2254 UTC »
I got one too! Neat toy, keep it in a antistatic bag as the goto survival radio for when nukes get to popping on our cities.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 0002 UTC »
With no battery terminal corrosion the asking price should have been $2.... and it has TV band!
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 1409 UTC »
With no battery terminal corrosion the asking price should have been $2.... and it has TV band!
That "TV band" is the Japanese FM broadcasting band, just relabeled for US buyers.

BTW, the USA should change it to an official extension of the FM band. But sure the existing stations don't want to make any space for newcomers.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****