We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Newbie needs help on antenna for a Comm Radio CR-1  (Read 2238 times)

Offline dizzyX

• View Profile
Newbie needs help on antenna for a Comm Radio CR-1
« on: January 22, 2020, 0352 UTC »
Hello, I am quite new to the SW Receiver world.
I recently acquired a Comm Radio CR-1 and am trying to figure out a decent antenna setup.
I am looking at ...
  MW-HF Antenna Port 1:  High impedance input for random wire.
      3.5 mm (1/8”) female-mono-jack. 

MW-HF   Antenna Port 2:  BNC Female – 50 Ohm.

VHF-UHF Antenna Port 3:  BNC Female – 50 Ohm.
and
  External Chassis Ground Connection

I'm just not sure where to start. At the moment I don't want to be an antenna expert but am looking more for a simple external SW receiver antenna.

Thank you in advance..Richard

Even an affordable commercial pre-assembled setup would be fine.

Matt285

Re: Newbie needs help on antenna for a Comm Radio CR-1
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 1822 UTC »
Hf- The usual suspects                                                                                                                    UHF/VHF
-Random wire (tuner optional)                                                                                                        Discone antennas- Many manufactures
-Par end fed SWL                                                                                                                            Vertical  antenna- Maybe even a 2m/440 model
-Tuned dipoles for specific areas                                                                                                     Small vertically polarized Yagi (TV/FM)
Alpha Delta Shortwave sloper                                                                                                         Wire dipoles vertical or horizontal
Alpha delta DX Ultra
Loops- Wire or manufactured such as Wellbrook, MFJ, MLA-30, DX Engineering, LZ1AQ
Among many more

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 1834 UTC »
BTW a lot of people ask for help and advice for their new Radio shack, Tecsun, Sangean. You jumped right into a much higher quality tabletop unit!
You're already ahead of the game. Nothing wrong with that though.

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 0039 UTC »
46 views. Nothing to add?

Offline dizzyX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 0114 UTC »
Hf- The usual suspects                                                                                                                    UHF/VHF
-Random wire (tuner optional)                                                                                                        Discone antennas- Many manufactures
-Par end fed SWL                                                                                                                            Vertical  antenna- Maybe even a 2m/440 model
-Tuned dipoles for specific areas                                                                                                     Small vertically polarized Yagi (TV/FM)
Alpha Delta Shortwave sloper                                                                                                         Wire dipoles vertical or horizontal
Alpha delta DX Ultra
Loops- Wire or manufactured such as Wellbrook, MFJ, MLA-30, DX Engineering, LZ1AQ
Among many more

Thanks, which would you suggest for an inexperienced dxer? Not for transmitting, mainly receiving SW.

Offline dizzyX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 0115 UTC »
BTW a lot of people ask for help and advice for their new Radio shack, Tecsun, Sangean. You jumped right into a much higher quality tabletop unit!
You're already ahead of the game. Nothing wrong with that though.
I read fast to get through the clutter and down to sound basics :)

Matt285

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 0207 UTC »
Well, I guess at first whatever gets you receiving. Whether its clipping a wire onto a gutter or a random wire. Any outside antenna is going to be a huge difference. I guess I would add that having the axis of the antenna pointing in the right NS EW direction based on where your located. East coast/West coast pick up slightly different stations on a regular basis. Not always though. As an East coast receiver I tend to concentrate on Europe/South America and the Islands. West coast ops have more success with Asia, Australia and various others that are geographically in a better propagation area. Put out any outside piece of metal and find whats to your liking. There are AM broadcast,Military, time stations, numbers stations, beacons, ham radio. Among many others. Just listen as much as possible whenever you can with whatever capabilities you have. I learn new things everyday. Especially from this website. There are so many great people on here that have much more information to offer than I ever could. Best of luck to you. Cruise the forum when your able to. That's what I do.

Matt285

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 0210 UTC »
I failed to answer your question directly. I guess I would say that a Par end fed SWl antenna would be a great start. I don't personally own one, but it seems like a go to antenna for many people. I hope other people respond as well with their opinions.

Offline dizzyX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 0320 UTC »
I failed to answer your question directly. I guess I would say that a Par end fed SWl antenna would be a great start. I don't personally own one, but it seems like a go to antenna for many people. I hope other people respond as well with their opinions.
Thanks much.

Offline dizzyX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 0323 UTC »
Well, I guess at first whatever gets you receiving. Whether its clipping a wire onto a gutter or a random wire. Any outside antenna is going to be a huge difference. I guess I would add that having the axis of the antenna pointing in the right NS EW direction based on where your located. East coast/West coast pick up slightly different stations on a regular basis. Not always though. As an East coast receiver I tend to concentrate on Europe/South America and the Islands. West coast ops have more success with Asia, Australia and various others that are geographically in a better propagation area. Put out any outside piece of metal and find whats to your liking. There are AM broadcast,Military, time stations, numbers stations, beacons, ham radio. Among many others. Just listen as much as possible whenever you can with whatever capabilities you have. I learn new things everyday. Especially from this website. There are so many great people on here that have much more information to offer than I ever could. Best of luck to you. Cruise the forum when your able to. That's what I do.
I take it the 'wire' would have an adapter to fit the MW-HF BNC Female – 50 Ohm port?

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 0950 UTC »
PAR EF-SWL for MW-HF and discone for VHF-UHF would be my choices.
Go to Universal Radio site and look around, they have all you need,
antennas, coax, connectors, adapters, etc.
Be sure to take into consideration lightning protection and grounding.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Matt285

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 0009 UTC »
Great point Pinto. Since it's winter time, lightning wasn't on my mind. Not to mention good grounding cuts down on noise considerably in general. Good advice.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 0257 UTC »
46 views. Nothing to add?

I run an Alpha Delta Sloper  thru a splitter to both the Yaesu FRG7700 and the Icom R75 and am very satisfied.  The ICOM is better on SSB  but the FRG consistently outperforms the R75 on SWL.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago