We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HF sucks??? Try VHF / UHF this heat wave!  (Read 1800 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
HF sucks??? Try VHF / UHF this heat wave!
« on: September 27, 2019, 1725 UTC »
Today, starts a big Fall heatwave in the USA Northeast, and already I've noticed some nice VHF / UHF enhancement from Temperature Inversions late at night and early morning. Last night, about 2AM, the Athens, OH NOAA WX station on 162.550MHz was 1/2 scale on an HT I checked it on. (Normally, barely there at around 100 miles from me.) This morning, S9! That, and local FM Translators were getting covered over by out of area FM stations. So, when it reaches +90 degrees in the day, and night dips down to the lower 60's, that temperature swing could mean some nice propagation on the FM, TV, MURS, GMRS, Marine, EMS, Weather, Amateur Radio,  whatever's on the VHF / UHF bands. (Even 6M could be game.)  Don't forget to check for those propagational beacons on 2M, 222MHz, and 432MHz, in CW mode. So, while the lower HF bands are still too noisy, and the upper HF bands still suck, those VHF / UHF bands should be game! Will we see the conditions of late September 2004? That would be nice.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
Re: HF sucks??? Try VHF / UHF this heat wave!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 2223 UTC »
Especially near the coast. WNOB down in Virginia beach has been a fairly regular catch on my morning commute for the last couple weeks. About 250 miles.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns