We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 49 MHz Range Testing Part 15 Experimentation  (Read 7088 times)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 49 MHz Range Testing Part 15 Experimentation
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 2102 UTC »
Military (Magnavox) PRC-68A or B are good 49MHz radios if you can find them. Last pair I had went to eBay a decade ago. They put out about 1 watt on fresh batteries.

Czech Army Military RF-10 radio sets are all over eBay for about $100-$150.

The other surprisingly impressive 49MHz radios are the old style baby monitor base stations. Some of those could be tuned up to a half watt or so and with an outdoor antenna, could be received well over a mile away with a Realistic talkie.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 2111 UTC by chanito »
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 1714 UTC »
Military (Magnavox) PRC-68A or B are good 49MHz radios if you can find them. Last pair I had went to eBay a decade ago. They put out about 1 watt on fresh batteries.

The other surprisingly impressive 49MHz radios are the old style baby monitor base stations. Some of those could be tuned up to a half watt or so and with an outdoor antenna, could be received well over a mile away with a Realistic talkie.

The old style baby monitors are still in use around me (at least to some degree).  One of them appears to be either putting out more than the legal amount of power or is just in a really good location/running a really good antenna.  It does about 1/3 of a mile or so on 49.830 MHz. 

I'm taking a look at the RF-10 manpack radio sets on eBay now.  Pretty decent specs, reminds of me of the PRC-8/9/10 series.  1 watt TX power 44.000 MHz to 53.975 MHz.  49.850 MHz/49.875 MHz lol
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 1716 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 1445 UTC »

LOL! When my daughter was a baby we had a couple of those monitors. We also had a couple of old women who would ragchew on the HT's at either end of the block, and a Wendy's directly behind us who used a couple of frequencies in that band to relay orders from from the drive-thru customers.

I put the baby down for a nap one morning and told her I loved her. The next thing I heard those old ladies say was, "Did you hear that, Shirley? That man just said he loved you!" That went on for weeks until they started blaming a ham who lived across the the street and up the block.

I stayed away from messing with the fast food joint. I'd worked in enough of those as teen to know that you got the boot for consistently screwing up orders.