We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Motorcycle movie from the late 70's...  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Motorcycle movie from the late 70's...
« on: October 04, 2019, 2100 UTC »
Good God, there were so many Pinto's on the road I'm surprised the entire country didn't go up in flames? If only the Soviets had known, they would have stopped the arms race and found a way to make them all go off at rush hour.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Motorcycle movie from the late 70's...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 2149 UTC »
Did I miss somethin'??? Just what motorcycle flick ya talkin' 'bout? Never mind The Pinto, (The beans are better.), what about the Chevette, (Or as we called 'em Shove-Its.), made by:

Cheap
Heap
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time?

Talk about a POS that was dumped on high schoolers and college students in the 80's! That Dodge Omni was maybe a slight step up.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 2315 UTC »
We called them She vettes
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 2316 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 2333 UTC »

Nothing says 1970's automobile styling like AMC's Gremlin and Pacer.  As for the Pinto, in 1980, my apartment mate had a 1975 fading red Pinto.  Having learned of the vehicle's fuel system potential hazard, he put a DOT Flammable Placard on the rear of the vehicle.  He probably should have also added the blasting agent placard.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 1502 UTC »
I knew a crew of idiots who drove a 1964 Corvair 2400 miles to Los Angeles where it promptly died, in that era. They decided to look for work to get money to ride the "Dog" back home. A guy gave them work picking fruit out in the Central Valley, where they were locked in a barn every night after a gourmet meal consisting of a bologna sandwich and dollop of pinto beans. One made a run for it where he called his folks to wire them enough money for the ride home.

He went back, slipped in to the barn, and got the other three. They hitched out of there to the nearest town with a bus station and headed east. I'd forgot about the tale until I got a call from one survivor in April. I thought I'd die of laughter when we started talking about it. My cousin John was on that trip, he promptly joined the Army and later went to Ranger school. I asked him what Ranger school was like? He went, "A piece of cake after living in a metal barn in the desert on bologna sandwiches and water."

A friend who was a power lifter used to sucker people into betting him he couldn't bench the the front end of a Chevette, he could.

Let us not forget the Vega in the era of mid-70's cars. If they lasted a year w/o needing major repairs you were lucky. What a piece of crap!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 1816 UTC »
Nothing as hideous on the 70s roadways than the amc matador BUT IT WAS IN KEEPING WITH THE CLOTHING AND MUSIC OF THE ERA. I had a pinto was gonna put a 302 with tunnel ram and dual quad autolites and tear up the streets of perrydise iowa with it, but noooooooo, some trucker with poor depth perception ended that dream.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 2137 UTC »
"A guy gave them work picking fruit out in the Central Valley, where they were locked in a barn every night after a gourmet meal consisting of a bologna sandwich and dollop of pinto beans."

Conservatives (who want to lock people up even if they did nothing wrong) are everywhere. Even California.

~

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 0005 UTC »
Ronnie Reagan was Gov. in those days and "Bombin' Bob" Dornan was in Congress. Those two were to the Right of Franco.
Too bad Bob got exposed as "Wife Beatin' Bob Dornan" or he and Trump could hug the flag at rallies from coast to coast.

I wonder if flag huggin' can clear you of treason? I guess we'll find out.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns