We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beef rib finger Meat boneless  (Read 1650 times)

Offline ve3tiz

• Windsor, ON Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
Beef rib finger Meat boneless
« on: October 06, 2019, 0416 UTC »
I'm not exactly sure what this is but saw it at the supermarket tonight and picked up a cryopak.  Apparently it is supposed to be super cheap but then again I'm in Canada. Planning on smoking it on my Traeger Pellet Grill. Any tips?   I was thinking of just applying my usual favourite rub and smoking it for about a good six hours.
monitoring with:
Grundig Satellit 750
MLA 30 active loop
(usually)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Beef rib finger Meat boneless
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 1529 UTC »
Post a photo of it. Ideally the package so we can see what it really is (assuming it is correctly labeled).

Unfortunately, a lot of the time these random cuts of meat without an official name are tough pieces of meat. I've seen eye round sold as "steak", which it certainly is not.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ve3tiz

• Windsor, ON Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 1754 UTC »
It's too late to post a pic of it raw - it's been on the smoker since 9 a.m.   I tried a "finger" just now though figuring four hours should be enough to test and first impression is that it is greasy and bland.
monitoring with:
Grundig Satellit 750
MLA 30 active loop
(usually)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 1910 UTC »
I did some searching... seems to be a Canadian thing  :) 

It's the meat between beef rib bones, looks like 4 or so hours at 250F is the recommended cooking.  Good luck, and let us know how it turn out!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 0658 UTC »
A cousin used to bring that finger meat to family reunions. He cooked it for hours in a crockpot in his homemade bbq sauce. It was damned good. He had lived in Detroit for a number years and picked up a taste for the stuff there. I don't know if it was his sauce or that slow multi-hour cook, but I always hit him up for some leftovers...and a qt. jar of that sauce.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 0110 UTC »
I did a little digging on this stuff and found out it's very popular in Chinese restaurants as "boneless ribs". Who knows how they fix it, but the Chinese are pork eating fools.  They eat everything but the "oink" and they're working on that.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns