We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Paul Barrere, guitarist and singer-songwriter for Little Feat, dies at 71  (Read 1477 times)

Fansome

Paul Barrere, guitarist and singer-songwriter for Little Feat, dies at 71
By
Harrison Smith
Oct. 30, 2019 at 5:25 p.m. EDT

Paul Barrere, a singer-songwriter and guitarist for the eclectic band Little Feat, which mixed California rock with New Orleans funk over a half-century of extended jams and fiery performances, died Oct. 26 at a hospital in Los Angeles. He was 71.

His band confirmed the death in a statement and said he was being treated for liver disease, which forced him to miss a 50th anniversary tour that ended the day after his death. Mr. Barrere, who had battled hepatitis C and was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2015, was planning to rejoin Little Feat next year at its annual festival in Jamaica.

Formed in Los Angeles in 1969, Little Feat cultivated a jazzy, blues-inflected sound that was initially presided over by singer, songwriter and slide guitarist Lowell George, whose small feet inspired the band’s name.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page called Little Feat his favorite American band, and while the group never had a chart-topping hit, it maintained a devoted following — especially in Washington, where its records sometimes outsold the Grateful Dead and Rolling Stones. Their sole top-20 album, “Waiting for Columbus” (1978), was partly recorded at Lisner Auditorium in the District and later ranked 49th on Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the 50 greatest live albums.

Mr. Barrere, who sometimes spelled his last name Barrère, was not an original member of the band. He first auditioned as a bassist, while George was searching for someone to play the instrument, and joined as a guitarist in time for the band’s breakthrough third album, “Dixie Chicken” (1973). “As a bassist,” he cracked, “I make an excellent guitarist.”

Although he had initially focused on the blues, picking up the guitar after listening to guitarist and harmonicist Jimmy Reed as a 12-year-old, Mr. Barrere expanded into jazz, country and pop, sometimes playing slide guitar. He also wrote or co-wrote many of the group’s songs, including “Walkin’ All Night,” “All That You Dream,” “Time Loves a Hero,” “Old Folks Boogie” and “Down on the Farm.”

In addition to George, a cannonball of a singer who had previously performed with Frank Zappa in the Mothers of Invention, Little Feat’s original lineup featured keyboardist Bill Payne, drummer Richie Hayward and bassist Roy Estrada, who had also played with Zappa and was succeeded by Kenny Gradney beginning with “Dixie Chicken.”

That album also marked the band’s first record with percussionist and singer Sam Clayton, and it was followed by “Feats Don’t Fail Me Now” (1974), recorded near Baltimore at Blue Seas Recording Studio. The group completed three more records before disbanding in 1979, shortly before George’s death at 34 amid escalating drug and alcohol use.

“In my personal life, I was about this far behind Lowell, and if I didn’t watch it, I was going to the same place he was,” Mr. Barrere told The Washington Post in 1988. “But you couldn’t have told me that at the time, because I was wild and crazy and ready to go.”

Mr. Barrere performed with blues musician Catfish Hodge in the bands Chicken Legs and the Bluesbusters, and cut a pair of solo albums before Little Feat reunited with the 1988 album “Let It Roll.” He took on a more prominent role as a songwriter and singer that lasted through the group’s latest studio album, “Rooster Rag” (2012).

“When we do get together and we play these songs, it always brings the best out in you because you bring into it whatever you’ve been doing in the meantime,” Mr. Barrere told the website Best Classic Bands earlier this year, noting that Little Feat had acquired a reputation as a “musicians’ band.” “The opportunities are endless as far as soloing. . . . I think it’s a testament to the fact that all the cats can play.”

The youngest of three sons, Paul Barrere was born July 3, 1948, in Burbank, Calif., and attended Hollywood High School with George. His parents were film and television actors who performed under the names Paul and Claudia Bryar.

On his first rock-and-roll tour, promoting “Dixie Chicken,” Mr. Barrere was dismayed to find that Little Feat’s album was not being stocked at record stores. “In Atlanta, we all had to put on busboy outfits and Lowell put on a chicken suit, and we went around to radio stations handing out boxes of chicken that said on them, ‘Dixie Chicken — Finger Pickin’ Good,’ ” he recalled in the liner notes to the band’s 1981 compilation album “Hoy-Hoy!”

“It was strange, funny and degrading,” he added.

Mr. Barrere recorded or performed with artists including Carly Simon, Valerie Carter, Chico Hamilton, Phil Lesh and Bonnie Raitt, and in recent years he toured with fellow Little Feat guitarist Fred Tackett as a duo.

An early marriage ended in divorce, and in 1988 he married Pam Ruhl. In addition to his wife, survivors include their three children, Gabriel, Genevieve and Gillian Barrere, and a brother.

“We’ve never been a band that plays the songs the same way twice,” Mr. Barrere told the website JamBase in February. “Every song is a gem, we feel, and we leave ourselves spaces within the songs to improvise. To me, that means space to be a musician. So that’s what we think is important, not play the same songs the same length every night and fire up the wind machine to blow your hair back — although my hair has left me.”

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
1974? Wow Mister Fansome, you're really, really old! What was it like in the olden days before electric lights? Did Little Feat use whale oil or manatee oil lamps to illuminate it's stage shows?

Fansome

You're just unhappy because I'm a hipster and you aren't.

1974? Wow Mister Fansome, you're really, really old! What was it like in the olden days before electric lights? Did Little Feat use whale oil or manatee oil lamps to illuminate it's stage shows?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
You're just unhappy because I'm a hipster and you aren't.

Hah! Scraggly long beards, fedoras, and sandals with support socks say, "I'm an old coot on the loose." like nothing else does, especially where you live, you old fossil.

It's Zoot suits, pegged pants, spectator shoes, long watch chains, pencil thin mustaches, and Montecristi Panama hats these days, Pops. Get hep to the jive!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
I've oft thought about giving up messianic judaism for amish hipsterism, complete with patchouli. Also, never trust a man who wears sandals save for Jesus.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
What comes to mind here after reading these postings is Maynard G. Krebs.....the G is silent, cause his middle name is William.....got that Daddy-O?
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Fansome

Wearing socks and sandals, bermuda shorts, and carrying a metal detector doesn't make a person a fogey.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Nah Al, it simply means you're over the hill and way down underneath.

Maynard G. Krebs set a standard that all young American males should aspire to.

Neil Young talked about going to Bob Denver's house with Stephen Stills in the mid- 60's just after he moving to L.A. to pick up Jackson Browne. They rang the bell and beat on the door as Bob knew they were coming. They were getting ready to leave when Bob and Jackson came around the corner of the place, naked, smoking a joint. Neil said that was when he knew he wasn't in Canada anymore.

Chuy dohn wear no steenkin sandals, Josh. He wears huaraches, making pulque out of water an' refritos out of thin air. He cuts holes in someone's "Wunnerful. beeuteeful border walls" with a wave of his hand as soon as they go up. He's quite a guy. He was on "Rawhide" under pseudonym of "Hey-Zoos" for years and no one got wise to him.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
ay caramba!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Felipe, Moises, and Jesus Alou were some of the first Dominican players in the Major Leagues. At one time they were the starting outfield for S.F. Giants in the mid-60's, the first brothers to pull that hat trick. That was in Al's time, I was still a pup then.

It was great to listen to announcers try to handle Jesus's first name as he bounced from team to team for the rest of his career. They were going to screw it up at least 4-5 times a game.