We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Finding the random fishermen...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
Finding the random fishermen...
« on: October 06, 2019, 1855 UTC »
I always assume most of these are fishermen, by the content and context of the conversations, but some are cryptic. Talking about the 6000 khz - 7000 khz stuff. There are some persistently used frequencies, like 6900 khz, can be USB or LSB that seem to be more or less 'freebanders' as they never give out callsigns.

There are many others and one way to snag them is to monitor Fleetnet and Safetynet ground stations on 1539 MHz on Inmarsat. This is fairly easy with a small homebrew antenna, a RTL-SDR and LNA.

Use Scytale-C (free) or the pay decoders, like inmarsatdecoder or Tekmanoid.  Scytale-C is actually pretty good now, and decodes almost as well as inmarsatdecoder.

You will often see marine stations requesting their buddies go to certain HF frequencies all up and down the bands, from 4000 kHz to 11000 kHz.

I use an antenna made of cardboard, aluminum foil and copper tape. Works great. I have a printout you can use as a form to build the helical coil, if interested.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Finding the random fishermen...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 1720 UTC »
When trying to identify a suspected "pesky" transmission there is a rule of thumb that if the language is non-rhotic English and there is a 5:1 word to f-bomb ratio, these individuals are usually in the northeast, generally around coastal New England. These are also known as "Angry Bastahds". It's not clear if they captain fishing boats, or recliners. Very often found in 6000-7000 KHz.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 2049 UTC »
Haven't heard any of those. I was referring to the ones speaking Spanish, similar ratio of expletive:information, also very fast paced.
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 0443 UTC »
40-41 meters is a fascinating area of HF -- hams, SW broadcasters, Russian single letter beacons, Spanish (and Portuguese) fishermen and outbanders, and Indonesian 'village radio' chanters in the early AM hours. Then you have the odd pirate around the 6900 khz range.

Of course, the past few years conditions haven't been terrific even in that swath of HF territory, but when I seriously tune HF, that's the region I usually concentrate on.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 1227 UTC »
40-41 meters is a fascinating area of HF -- hams, SW broadcasters, Russian single letter beacons, Spanish (and Portuguese) fishermen and outbanders, and Indonesian 'village radio' chanters in the early AM hours. Then you have the odd pirate around the 6900 khz range.

Of course, the past few years conditions haven't been terrific even in that swath of HF territory, but when I seriously tune HF, that's the region I usually concentrate on.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree