We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Yaesu FT-1000D repairs & parts...  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Yaesu FT-1000D repairs & parts...
« on: October 08, 2019, 1244 UTC »
After many years of faithful service my Yaesu FT-1000D had a massive receiver failure (lightning strike and power surge all in one), had the radio since new so over 20 years of reliability.

Be warned, with the older radio gear that spare parts are becoming a major problem, none for this radio available from the Yaesu agents in Australia.

Contacted Yaesu in Japan and told the company has a policy, which has been in place for a number of years, that back up spares for radio transceivers over 10 years old is discontinued.

I needed four components that had blown on a major board and three on the receiver board, last resort was via two old Japanese radio amateur friends, one posted a request on a Japanese amateur radio bulletin board and was successful in obtaining what I required.

Be warned, getting major components for the older radio's is becoming harder as the years pass... :)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Yaesu FT-1000D repairs & parts...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 1847 UTC »
I got a front panel for the 775 from here;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/hamguy123/m.html?item=332893325853&hash=item4d81fd0a1d%3Ag%3AqFgAAOSwKSlb9CZE&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He has parts for a lot of rigs, including yours.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 1817 UTC »
One of the good things about older rigs is their most common faults have been well characterised so one can implement repairs and mods beforehand. Was thinking about ditching Project 775 for a rig with a 12v dc input only and a fish finder, but about the only that fails of its own accord in the series is the backlight inverter xformer becomes unsoldered, simply requiring a resolder job, hopefully with silver solder as it's very strong. However, if I gave up 775 for a fish finder radio (ic7300, ic7600) I'd be giving up a very stout rx and 300w output. The FT1000 is also a high reliability rig with well characterised faults.

For ensample;
https://www.w8ji.com/ft-1000_noise_blanker_mod.htm

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 1242 UTC »
“Fishfinder” LOL.  I like that.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 2232 UTC »
“Fishfinder” LOL.  I like that.

The bad part about fishfinder radios is once you've used one you no longer want to radio without a fishfinder. When I went from a 756 Pro (has fishfinder) to a 746 Pro (does not has fishfinder) my anxiety level increased greatly because I kept looking at the freq display expecting to be able to see sigs up and down the band.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns