We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: USB Pirate Station, audio bandwidth  (Read 1833 times)

Offline R319

• View Profile
    • Email
USB Pirate Station, audio bandwidth
« on: October 09, 2019, 1336 UTC »
hello,

I wonder what kind of TRX American USB pirate do use for broadcast ?
Is that (un)modified audio bandwidth HAM rig ? Or are they using standard rig with USB cut-off audio bandpass 2,4 or 2,7 k ?

For now, I'm only use AM but it will be funny to make some tests in SSB mode.
Some HAM rigs have very narrow bandwidth about 2,4k wich is too much narrow.
The idea would be to find a rig with 2,7k (or maybe 2,9k) not too expensive for testing. Or bypass the audio filter and limiting bandwidth with equalizer.

Thanks for info

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: USB Pirate Station, audio bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 1906 UTC »
For straight, out of the box, it's hard to beat most Kenwood transceivers. There are even modifications to open many of those up to 5kHz TX bandwidth, or better. Not just the the high-end, but the low end bass as well.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 2251 UTC »
There's a huge amount of variation between stations as far as mode and bandwidth (and transmitter).  For SSB / USB stations, the usual 2.4 kHz - 2.7 kHz or so is pretty common.  Other US pirates have high end transmitters and do 5 kHz or even 10+ kHz wide SSB signals. 

There are still plenty of American shortwave pirate broadcasters that use good ol' AM. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 1712 UTC »
For straight, out of the box, it's hard to beat most Kenwood transceivers. There are even modifications to open many of those up to 5kHz TX bandwidth, or better. Not just the the high-end, but the low end bass as well.

I agree - the Kenwoods are probably the best sounding unmodified transceivers for SSB pirating. The Flex radios sound really good too in SSB but I don't know how easily these go out of band. I wonder if any pirate has used one?

There are lots of resources on the web for setting up Kenwood rigs for good sounding SSB. One bonus with more recent radios (like the TS-590) is that you can feed the radio audio directly over USB from your computer, eliminating a lot of the hassles of trying to feed audio into a mic or aux jack and having to match levels, etc.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline WWBR

• Somewhere in the Great Lakes
  • WWBR Worldwide Basement Radio, WILD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 1601 UTC »
I have heard a couple Flex rigs on the air in 43m, so they *can* be modded to do so. However, I have *heard* it has to be done by the supplier and he now asks for creds.

Many Yeasu radios can do fairly wide SSB as well.
Grundig Satellit 800 ME with 35' sloper
Realistic DX440 with random wire
Realistic DX120 with random wire
Various vintage Portables
Transmitter: Yaesu FT757GX
Inverted V, mounted 20' above a chainlink fence, N to S
Comments and reception reports welcome.
eQSL to radio.boogie@protonmail.com