We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reflections  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Reflections
« on: October 16, 2019, 2229 UTC »
The following url leads to a pdf on antennas and their secrets that you should know. Almost everything one might need to know about hf antennas in this tome.

Its author is a hero of mine from way back, he was in the FCC RID during WW2, and decades later became my antenna elmer without ever knowing about it because he wrote about his findings in QST and other publications for us newb HAMs to profit from.

He taught that nonresonant/reactive antennas can be made workable by canceling out the reactances at any point in the antenna system, and after the match is made the swr is low for the entire circuit. He also pointed out that as only resistances can eat power, no power is lost in a reactive antenna system when matched as the power will just bounce back and forth in the system till it leaves the antenna, just like we want it to. He wasn't dreaming with these declarations, he proved his ideas in practice as he designed some of the first satellite antennas for the US gov.
The unwashed claim a antenna tuner just fools the rig into believing it sees a low swr.
Here's your soap;
http://www.w3pga.org/Antenna%20Books/Reflections%20III.pdf

Bonus;
https://www.qsl.net/w3df/sterling/dfhistory.html
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Reflections
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 2302 UTC »
I own a copy of Reflections, it's a great book. I mean, how could an radio related book written by a guy named Maxwell not be great?

He worked at the RCA satellite/space facility in Princeton, NJ. An uncle of mine worked there, and I recall touring the facility many many moons ago when I was young. Maybe I saw Walt Maxwell without even knowing it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns