We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Scottish Peskies? 5000 USB 1815 UTC 18 Sept 2019  (Read 2859 times)

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
Scottish Peskies? 5000 USB 1815 UTC 18 Sept 2019
« on: September 18, 2019, 1827 UTC »
Zero beat to WWV and BPM's USB. Difficult copy with STANAG under them too. Heard on an SDR in Germany.

Convo seems to be a mixture of English and something else, with either "bahstahds", "laddie", "your fuckin' (insert noun here)" or "aye" tossed in every few phrases, which makes me think the non-English parts are Scottish Celtic or Scots.

Convo wrapped up by 1820 UTC.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Peskies? 5000 USB 1815 UTC 18 Sept 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 2039 UTC »
It could be Northern English peskies or North Sea oil derrick workers giving each other crap. With the attack on Saudi oil fields where W. Europe gets most of it's oil, they're going to be fully staffed and drilling around the clock. Listen for the phrase "laddie buck" tagged on to the sentence. It's a dead give away of many Northern dialects.

If it is, I'm surprised you could you could understand a word that was said.

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 2310 UTC »
If it is, I'm surprised you could you could understand a word that was said.

The parts is English were straight forward. I must have been sleeping when they explained Gaelic in school because the rest of it was indecipherable.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 1151 UTC »
I've got a friend who happens to be from Manchester and is an Oxbridge trained linguist. I'll tell him about it and how to locate SDR's. If anyone would know what it is, he would.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 1518 UTC »
I got a short note back from the guy I mentioned above. He says that English is a second language widely taught in the Netherlands and Belgium while it's the primary one in Ireland. His guess is it's convenient to use as all of the traffic in the North Sea has a decent enough grasp of it to communicate with it.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 2106 UTC »
Nice catch - I've heard the usual suspects (Latin Americans speaking Spanish or Portuguese) on 5000 kHz USB before, and 5555 kHz / 5555.5 kHz, of course.  Always in USB.  North Sea oil workers sounds about right, or fishing fleets.  No engine noise in the background, I presume?
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m